The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! I am new to the forum and have some questions about my rat Skittles. Skittles is still a young rat, around a year old, and has developed two tumors on her body. I suspect the two she has are benign, but one is about the size of a golf ball and the other around the size of a small orange. My question is, has anyone else had rats with tumors? And, if so, is it worth getting them removed? What are the risk factors that play into the surgery? I have heard that it is a pretty invasive surgery, so I am sort of on the fence about this. It would be nice to have some further knowledge on what I might be getting into, and also have some feedback from some fellow rat owners. Thank you! :)

Last edited:
These are definitely mammary tumours but there's no way she's a year old as they just don't show up til at least 14 months and take awhile to get to this size. A removal can be costly but these look like (in a competent rat surgeons) hands removeable. I;ve had worse removed from rescue rats I have taken in but my vet is fantastic with surgeries. Has she seen a vet to find out if they are comfortable removing these at this size?

I haven't brought her to the vet yet because I am worried if the surgery could kill her or do some serious damage. In that case, I would feel as if it were my fault. These tumors don't seem to be hurting her as of right now, other than limiting her movement. I just wanted to get some further advice before I brought her in. As for her age, I got her from a pet store and wasn't really sure how old she was then. I suspected a few months old, so she could be pushing 14 months. Thank you for your feedback, it really helps. :)

unfortunately a lot of vets won't even attempt this large a tumour removal so the best bet is to get her to a vet for an exam then get a quote. It really depends on your vet in this case.

Hi, thank you all for your help here. We did bring Skittles to the vet just yesterday and she told us how rats have a very hard time with anesthesia. She also told us most tumors are malignant and grow right back. We took her to a vet facility that has rave reviews and 5 stars. The vet we saw has 23 years experience. This vet facility specializes in small animals. She said these tumors grow so fast and it is at great risk to have tumors removed. I do want to add how fast these grew on Skittles. She did also mention she has no idea why rats are so prone to tumors. We were not trying to ignore the tumors or take poor care Skittles but my daughter feared if removing them could kill her rat knowing Please dont be angry with us. If we did not care we never would have reached out to all of you. Skittles does not seem to be suffering. You may be thinking carrying that weight is suffering but I wish you could see Skittles energy and motivation. We have removed all objects on the floor and have opened up the entire floor space for her to move more easily. She is not in any pain, labored breathing and she eats just fine. She cant not scratch herself as easy and she was having a hard getting food from her food bowl so we changed that up for her. My daughter reached out to you all for better advice so thank you all for your time and great advice. My daughters concern is if they grow into healthy organs and damage those but again she also feared if removing them could kill Skittles. She did have males before her females and the males lived about 3 years and never got tumors so this is new to us. We are doing the best we know how in an unfamiliar situation. We did take down the go fund me page because now we know for sure it's probably best not to go through with the surgery. We still welcome other experiences and help please. The vet told us rats are very prone to tumors. My daughter has always fed all of her rats an organic diet, mostly plant based with fruit and at times meat (grass fed). Does anyone know is certain healthy foods allowed on the rats diet can cause tumors over other healthy foods allowed on a rats diet? When she gets more rats in the future we just want to give it the healthiest and happiest life we can. Thank you all again so much! The rats owners mother.

most rats develop tumors. The tumors tend to recurr despite surgery. Those are huge tumors. Because ( in my experience) the tumors are not attached to deep organs, they can be removed by vets who are highly experienced in their care.

Usually tumours are removed when smaller and depending on how old the rat is, how healthy it is, these are usually very successful. Removing a tumour that size could end up killing your rat as it's heavily connected to the blood supply and losing that much volume can be dangerous. The majority of these mammary tumours are NOT malignant but do continue growing until they affect the rats health. Malignancies are tumours that invade other areas, organs,tissues. Mammary tumors are usually attached under the skin layer and while they grow they don't spread like a cancer would.
As for diet. What is the staple diet you are feeding?

one of my furbabies (Skitz) just had hers removed this past week. she had 2, one about the size of a golf ball under her left arm and the other a bit smaller under her left leg. When I got her, she was tiny, the store told be about 3-4 months old... and while that's possible... I suspect she was closer to 2 months. That being said... I had her for only 7 months when the 1st tumor appeared seemingly overnight. we noticed it in the morning and that night she had quite the play scuffle with her cagemate. I took her to the vet worried she was wounded because it seemed her upper arm to the elbow was swollen (about 3/4in ball). they told me it was a mammary tumor and that sometimes they stay that size but they can grow... they recommended letting it be for a month cos it was so small and watching it to see if it grew. That was in September, we assumed her to be between 9 and 11 months old. By late December that tumor was slightly larger (about 1in) but another appeared in the groin area of her left side. They didn't seem to bother her at all and the growth was so slow if at all so we left them be. In February all was the same but, my family got sick and we quarantined, planning 2 weeks after the last of us had symptoms, that date was March 19th. In that time we noticed Skitz's tumors were starting to grow, she would now be about 14-16 months old so we figured we should have it looked at again after we came out on March 19th, but on March 16th my state shutdown. We waited 6 months... so what're another few weeks? well, we all know that story and by late May after she fell from a height in her cage because she did not have the mobility of her left side the way she should... I was calling every vet I could find. She had her surgery on June 15th, guessing her to be at about 18-20 months old. The upper tumor was now wider than her body, the lower tumor about 1-1/2 inches.

Her regular vet was not open, but during a call to them, I was told "its a rat. they have short lives, and they get tumors. let nature do what nature does" I could not believe it! would it be different if it was my dog? Eventually, I found a vet that had an 'exotics dr', and the surgery was done on the 15th (7 days ago from my posting this) and I've learned a few things I feel the need to pass on to other rat lovers dealing with mammary tumors.

1. and Most importantly... make sure the Dr or vet has your rats life as Priority #1! Skitz stopped breathing when they started the anesthesia. but they were able to perform CPR and informed me that she was not breathing for about 1 full minute. I fear the regular vet I use would never have tried to save her.

2. As per #1, Rats and Anesthesia do not go together well. And the older they are, the more dangerous it is for them. At most, Skitz was 20 months old and the anesthesia put her right down before they even started on her. Know your rats age and be true about it to the vet as this is what will determine their methods and choices of drugs.

3. Mammary tumors can happen under 14 months old. it might be rare, but it happens. Think of it like this... in human females, we start our 'cycles' about age 12... some may even be 13-16... but there are more than a few that are as young as 9... and cases reported of even age 7... everyone is different... this is no different in rats.

4. Skitz's underarm is healing well... but we've returned to the vet now 4 times to have the lower incision closed. Rats pick and chew... so stay on them, manage their pain, take preventative measures (bitter cream, sweaters, etc), or keep them preoccupied with something more interesting because we are now dealing with a large open wound that can no longer be closed and runs a huge infection risk... not to mention our total cost with all the revisits, new stitches, changes in meds, and everything else... it's over $800. so plan for problems

I apologize for this great wall of text, I found these forums via a google search looking for options to stop her from picking at her open wound. She has been given a stronger dose of pain meds more often, she is also on sedatives to slow her down and make her sleep it off long enough to not mess with it, an antibiotic cream that is supposed to be so bitter she won't lick it but seems to enjoy the taste and everything I've put on it (from clothing to steri-strips) she has removed. Fortunately, her underarm is healing well... I think soon I will be able to put her harness on again and over a sweater, it might make it difficult for her to get to so easily while the harness prevents her from taking off the sweater.

Back