Tumor, infection? Edit : It's an Abcess

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Urh.... *Bangs head against wall* The suture went off somehow. She wasn't put with her friends cuz Cookie is a compulsive barber. And now thw ound is open again and there's a bunch of white stuff. :smiling:

That whole warm water + salt isn't working so well. And wasn't the Baytril suppose to stop infection from coming back or something? :cry4:

Baytril is not strong enough for tooth abscesses. That stuff is nearly impossible to treat. Don't worry about the sutures... it's good that it's open which might allow it to drain a little bit. You'll have to call the vet again and ask them what they think.

Oh gosh, so much has happened to you and that poor rattie!!! Definetly call the vet and tell him everything thats been going on, hopefully they can offer you some advice to calm your mind.

Best of Luck!!

Alright I'll call my vet tomorrow since it's closed today. But, Jo, can a tooth abcess eventually kill Yuki? Cuz, to date, shes acts just like normal, full of energy, eating, ect.. ^^

It depends if it stops her from eating and if the pain becomes too much but from what you describe, she doesn't seem to be bothered which is a very good thing.

Well, I've been to the vet today and tomorrow, she's gonna flush and clean the abcess again cuz the warm water isn't doing much at all. The yuky stuff probably too packed up or something.

And I found myself a 2 week job so I'm gonna put money in my card for future vet needs. :joy:

Well good news. The vet just called me and she said she flushed the abscess again and it's getting smaller. :happydance:

But she said it's surely gonna get infected again and I'll have to flush it at home. Urrrghhh.... That didn't work to date. But she said to put warm water + salt in a syringe, push it in the abscess and after go with a Q-Tip since the water alone isn't working at all.

This is gonna be a pain the butt since Yuki hates it and doesn't collaborate very well.

I hate abscesses *shoots herself*

Oh noes =(

Yuki keeps rubbing her neck on the ground. She does it about 75% of the time when she's awake. What does this mean? :sad3:

She's still active and everything, she keeps climbing on me. But she isn't interested much of her meds anymore, even if I mix it up. She used to steal them from me.

I wonder if it's because it's wet or if it's because there's a foul odor or taste. My rats do that when they don't like something I'm trying to give them.

Yup she's still on pain meds. I went like 3-4 to the vet for that tooth abcess. Poor baby. But my vet is quite nice. She forces me to make some appointment cuz she wants to recheck on Yuki. It's very cool. :mrgreen:

Metacam + Baytril that she's on.

It bleed again this morning. I'm starting to wonder, should I just PT her. It must be quite annoying and painful for her but she's still active, eating and everything and my vet says it's getting better bits by bits slowly.

Well folks, a very big thank you for your help and replies but I finally decided that I am going to put down Yuki. Her cheek finally turned black 2 days ago but still, her neck, even if I clean it perfectly now, is always full of pus and it's really cream cheese hardcore, it's hard to get out without pushing it. It keeps coming back less than 12 hours after a full cleaning, the whole is full of cream cheese pus again.

I just used the last of my baytril this morning too. :cry3:

Plus, I noticed her other incisor is crooked and is getting really long. It's bothering her and sadly I don't see the vet until the 23th. I need some way to trim it at home before it pierces her. :?

But I am going to PT her once I see the vet. She's suffering too much. The vet said she has clean breathing and lungs and yet now she keeps doing noises when breathing, her fur is all dirty with blood and seems very greasy. Enyways, poor baby. Even with all that, she comes to me and climb on me. I feel so bad for her. :cry: But this is not likely gonna go away...

So anyone have any advice to trim her incisor?

This is so heartbreaking after all of your efforts.. You tried really, really hard so whatever you do don't be hard on yourself. Just give her lots of baby food and cuddles and playtime. I'm sorry sorry, Dark.. Hugs to you and Yuki.

Back