Tumor and water question...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoldenrat

Hello!
I have 2 different questions regarding 2 different rats.

First rat: She is 2 years old next month (she's a senior) and I noticed she has a tumor the size of half dollar round on her chest/arm area. She doesn't seem in pain and it doesn't look infected, but at the rate it's growing, I can see how it will be cumbersome soon.

I've thought about surgery, but since she is 2 years old soon.....is that not a good idea? I worry about regrowth as it seems from my research once a tumor is removed, it stimulates tumor growth. Other than the tumor, she seems pretty healthy. So i would of course love to prolong her little life. I would love to hear suggestions or of your experience with OLDER rats and tumors! :D

Second rat: I recently got my ratties a new fancy cage. ;) Since then (and it could be a coincidence) one of my rats seemed to have stopped drinking water. Her appetite for food is still great, I just haven't seen her drink for the past 3 days. Her poops look okay and I've been syringing diluted applesauce to give her fluids....but I worry. Has anyone experienced this with their ratties? I'm wondering if it's just a phase. Usually when my rats have stopped drinking in the past, it's accompanied with less eating and more exhaustion. But she seems very alert and her eating is great. I would love to know if anyone has seen ratties stop drinking even though eating and behavior is fine. Or if anyone has any suggestions of what it could be....

Okay I'm done. Sorry this was a wordy post.

have a beautiful weekend!
-M.

For me, I do tumour removals always unless the rat is unhealthy. I also get all my females spayed to prevent tumour occurrences. So when I adopt an older female, even if she's 2, I have them spayed and any tumours removed. But not everyone can do that, there are factors like health, good vet and affordability. Cut out all sugars an unhealthy fats. That usually promotes tumour growth. Reduce her protein as well so it's easier on her kidneys.
As for the water, I bet you are just not catching her in the act. But if you are concerned, you could put in a bowl of water and see if that entices her more.

@jorats thank you so much!!! Very helpful! I made a bet appointment for her next week. :)

As for my other rattie.,, she finally drank a bit last night. :) I think she might be uncomfortable about her new environment. :)

Thank you again so much!!!!!

Back