Trying to narrow down age of new boys-- anyone have a reliable age/weight chart?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SqueakingJellybean

Mission Control -- All is ratness
Norm and Oleksii recently became part of our family. We'd initially been told they were a year old, but on seeing them in person, it was very clear that they were much younger. We figure 6-8 months. However, given how little socialization they appear to have had, and how much they're still exploring the world with their mouths ("Are fingers good to nibble? How about pants? Can I eat the fleece bedding?") I'm wondering if they're not younger.

Oleksii was 370g when we got him; Norm was 300g, though he'd initially been recorded as 321g. He's now up to 340g, replacing some he'd lost between the shelter's vet check and our own vet's check.

They're lean, but not underfed. They will likely be strapping lads when grown, as they're both fairly long. Anyone have any better idea how old they might be? I'll attach a pic of Norm in the space pod for size reference. (They are very zoomy and curious, and thus hard to photograph with non-blurry results.) He and his brother can fit in the pod together very comfortably.

Any idea how old they might be? I feel 8 months might be the upper end, and they might be closer to 6 months, if not younger.

Attachments

• 1653275406440.jpeg
    1653275406440.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 39
Either he's a really small boy, or I'd agree maybe 5-6 months. I don't have a reliable growth chart, but I record my rat's weights at least every couple of months or sooner. I can look at the age my boys may have been at that weight, if you'd like? Also I think things like diet may effect their weight and growth.

Either he's a really small boy, or I'd agree maybe 5-6 months. I don't have a reliable growth chart, but I record my rat's weights at least every couple of months or sooner. I can look at the age my boys may have been at that weight, if you'd like? Also I think things like diet may effect their weight and growth.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Glad to have some confirmation.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what their diet was like before they came to us. They're currently getting Harlan-Teklad lab blocks (I think the name may have changed), along with fresh fruits and veggies every other day or so, and the occasional treat. We're trying to minimize "new food poops."

They both like water dishes. Norm drinks with his hands. They have two water bottles as well, but I think they mostly consider those to be decorations.

If you're willing to share the weights for your boys from that 5-8 month time period, please, that'd be great. I was really worried early on that Norm wasn't eating enough and might be losing weight, but it turned out he'd put 40g on. Oleksii is going to be a strapping lad.

Fig and gobblin are my two boys. I started getting their weight when they were about 7-8 months old. Sorry, I thought I had it when they were younger.

Attachments

• 1D8C0ED1-E269-445D-8BB2-8DE3EDD99F66.jpeg
    1D8C0ED1-E269-445D-8BB2-8DE3EDD99F66.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 22
Back