Trouble finding ratties

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nataly

My boy Jack has been an only child for about 2 months and I can’t find him a friend. Originally I was going to get two boys from an oops litter his cage mate had but all the pups and mom got sick the week I was supposed to bring them home. My teacher (who’s friend I was getting them from) said that all the ratties developed an infectious scaly growth. I don’t know what she means, as I haven’t seen pictures of it. They got skin scraped and that showed nothing and they’re currently doing a fungal culture test. I had decided to wait for them to get better but it’s been three weeks and I don’t know if they will.
The shelter in town doesn’t have any rats. The rescue closest to me is 2 hours away, which doesn’t seem like much, but I don’t have transportation. And I can’t find anything on petfinder.com or adoptapet.com. I also tried looking on Craigslist but I got zero results within 75 miles.
The one pet store in town sells feeder albino rats but I really don’t want to buy, especially not there because they live in tanks with no toys or hammocks and there’s always some small pale fly things flying in and around the tanks.
I really don’t know what to do, I give Jack a lot of free time (at least 3 hours but usually 6-8) but I know human interaction isn’t enough for him.
My friends came over last weekend and it reminded me how lonely he is because he was so excited to meet them. He didn’t hesitate at all he just climbed all over them like he’s known them his whole life.

Sometimes a rescue or breeder will be willing to transport to you or arrange some sort of meeting halfway. Might be worth seeing if any of those a good distance will be willing to travel to some sort of halfway point or able to travel further than what normally would be expected.

Back