Traveling?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KawaiiCallie

Hey, so we might go on vacation to North Carolina sometime in the spring so I wanted peoples opinions/suggestions on if it would be okay (or safe) to bring my little rattie with us. Keep in mind I don't have one /yet/ but will have one by the time we leave. We'd be driving from Florida so it's not that bad? I don't think I'd be comfortable leaving them with a sitter.

Hi and welcome, first off, please be sure to have two rats of the same sex. Rats really do need another rat for companionship. This is very important to their health and well being.
And yes, some rats do very well with travelling. I knew a lady of travelled everywhere with her rats and she would go long distances.

yes as Jorats said, you need at least 2 (3 or 4 is better) rats of the same sex
and there are things you can do to make traveling with rats safer and less stressful for them

Lots of rescue ratties in need of good homes

Right, I get that I need two. But how do I make it more comfortable for traveling?

you get a travel cage or a secure small cat carrier and put a thick layer of fleece on the bottom and extra fleece for them to curl up on and under

you get a water bottle that can be attached to the travel cage or carrier and of course you make sure they have plenty of food

get some juicy veggies and fruits just in case the water bottle leaks or something, grapes is a good choice, most rats like them, as well as peas and corn etc

how long will you be in the car? will you be stopping over and staying at a hotel? make sure that you are allowed to have pets there. They have security cameras at most places these days so it might not be possible to just "sneak them in"

clean out the rat poops often and bring plenty of fleece so you can switch it out, give them toys and things to chew.
a lot of the small cat carries have vent holes on the sides that you can use to rig up a hammock, I do this for mine when they are going to the vet, being up off the floor of the carrier means they are not bumped around as much.
of course you need to be super careful any time you open the travel carrier to be sure they do not get loose!

Not sure what else you'd need to know...........

Back