Traveling with my ratties

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maria-mar

Hi there,
first time posting so hey, hello Rat Shack ^_^

I have two male rats, they're brothers and almost two months old.
I have their cage in my room and always spend lots of time with them, but there's something concerning me.
Because my uni is far from my home, and i need to go home almost every weekend, my rats do travel a lot. Concerning their well being, i got three cages: a big one where they live during the week; a medium sized where they live on the weekend, when i go home; and a small one, that i use for the car trip. I always put some food, a hiding place and fresh water there, and once i am in the car i open the cage. Then, they come to my lap, where i have a towel so they can lay down cozy or play making tunnels. This has been our routine, and will have to be until June. Then uni will be over forever and they won't have to travel so much.

The problem is, i can't help feeling that no matter what i do this will cause them stress.
I'd like to know your opinions and suggestions on how can i, if not prevent that, at least reduce it.

I think your rats are some lucky to have you... and honestly, I don't think the traveling will affect them all that much, stress wise. You've got it well planned out and this is happening during their babyhood so this means they will get used to the routine and think nothing of it.

Gosh, that would be great if it didn't affect them!... ^_^
I was worried cause i read that excess of porphyrin can be a sign of stress, and sometimes they do have a lot of it in their little noses... I always let them be alone in their cage after the trip, so they have some piece for the rest of the night. The first times they were really nervous but this last time they seemed to recognize the cage right away, and so they just started playing and exploring. I do hope they'll just adjust to the trips!...

i think you should pat your self of the back because that most students wouldn't care that much for there rats. ia m not ot sure about the stress but i think that if they have been traveling they will be use to it.

Well, it's my first time having rats (i was always a dog person, never thought there could be another animal so rewarding), so i'm still not very confident of what's ok for them and what's not :/
I did my research but found nothing about traveling... and letting them alone for three days would be out of the question!...
Well, if everyone thinks it's ok, then it must be ^_^
What was concerning me was the regularity of the traveling... if it stresses me to travel this much, then it could stress them as well :lol:

You're fine. :) I always had rats in the dorms my first year of university, and they traveled just as frequently as yours do, and often long distances. Never had any problems and I have some excellent travelers because of it. :)

Aww Cait, that's wonderful news :D
If your ratties did just fine, then mine should too ^_^

Thank you all, i am now officially (and finally) confident about their future :hugs:
As they're still growing up, i was afraid it could affect them forever, but them maybe that's the good thing about it, as they're growing they can probably just adapt. Awesome!

Well, good night, it's 4 a.m here and the rats will wake up soon, so i better fall asleep before they do :lol:

As they are young, I'd think the amount of travel will be less stressful... going back and forth regularly can get them used to it more quickly :)

I am sure they will get used to it....and having a couple of different homes must be great. All those new smells and things to explore. I take a few of my rats of drives, to visit friends.......I try and take different ones each time....I have 14 so can't take them all at once. My rats seem to love it and as long as they are with me seem very happy. They know they are safe with me.

That's so beautiful that they trust you like that ^_^
Mine are really young so i don't think we're bounded in a way that they feel safe just to have me, but i hope that with time that can be possible :D

Travelling does cause stress ..
but they are getting used to it at a young age, they have two homes they are familiar with, and I am sure they will quickly adapt and be fine.
Sounds like you have an excellent, well thought out arrangement :thumbup:

On those rarte occassions when I travel home, the older ratties and those on meds come with me. I know it is stressful for them but they seem to handle it very well and so far, no problems :thumbup:

TRAVELLING UPDATE!... :mouse2ud2:

After two months of intense travelling, this is how things go:
- The rats see the travelling cage... they understand what's gonna happen, and just lift their little noses in the air, curious about where they're going this time
- They get in the car and i open the cage. They both come out to explore in my lap.
Then, Fivela (husky) goes back in the cage and prepares to sleep during ALL the journey XD
Meanwhile, Botão (champagne) climbs into my shoulder, where he stays, smelling the cool breeze from the window, during almost all the journey ^_^
- We arrive our destiny, witch can be in two places. They recognize both places right away, although they still feel more confortable in one of them then the other. Time to... sleep!

They always have acess to shade and food during the journey.
They refuse to have too much water during the journey, but they drink a lot in the one time they accept it.

AND... the intense travelling times are gone!... XD
They will now need to travel only one time a month ^_^

This sounds great! Rats get used to a routine, and it must ease their stress to have you spending so much time with them.

Phyllis travels with her rats. They go on holidays with her & her husband in their trailer, and they seem to have a wonderful time.

Sounds like your studies are going well, too. :thumbup:

Ahah thanks!... If all goes well they'll be over soon :D

Yeah, i think these boys got into the routine and they don't seem to have problems about travels ^_^
The only fright they game me was one time where Fivela was sleeping so deeply he didn't want to wake up!... :lol:

Back