Travel cages

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handmeafish

I am wanting to get a travel cage for my boys. every few weeks i go visit my parents, who live about 2 hours away, and I usually stay for a few days. I'd like to be able to bring the boys with me, but moving their whole cage seems like a hassle.

I have 3 boys... and it would need to be something that would fit into my sedan... What's the smallest I could comfortably fit my 3 boys for a day or so.... not that i am wanting to go as small as possible, I just want to know what my options are. I wouldn't want to go any smaller than I currently have for their regular cage.. the super pet exotics... but I think I've probably got some leeway with a travel cage.
I was kind of thinking about a smaller bird cage, that I could add many levels to, that could sit in my front seat.

any ideas?
Does anyone already have a cage like this? if so post pics please!

We usually use a medium cat carrier, for travel and then let them run around a playpen with the carrier inside when we get to my Moms. I wouldn't suggest this, playpen are expensive and chewers would have a field day getting loose tehe So other than that, I'm clueless!

my parents also have 2 dogs... so the playpen idea is defenatly out. I need to be able to keep them like on a table.
Even tho the dogs are kept down stairs, and they'd be up, i'd still be worried about them spending too much time on the floor, in case one got up stairs.

When I have traveled with my rats and stayed in hotels, I took them in a rabbit cage approx 40 inches long containing two homemade shelves.
It fit nicely in the back seat, and had room for a wheel, houses, hammocks and chew toys.
Likely much larger then you are thinking of but the ratties were fine and didn't get too stressed.

We just made a bin cage for our 3 boys for something like you describe. Little snug, but just make sure they get out time to stretch.

Took a big rubber maid and cut holes in the sides, then put hardware mesh over the holes. Drilled a few holes in the lid for hammock attachments, put a fleece blanket in the bottom along with their favorite igloo and they are ready for the road.

SQ said:
When I have traveled with my rats and stayed in hotels, I took them in a rabbit cage approx 40 inches long containing two homemade shelves.
It fit nicely in the back seat, and had room for a wheel, houses, hammocks and chew toys.
Likely much larger then you are thinking of but the ratties were fine and didn't get too stressed.

Here is a picture. The cage fits nicely into the back seat all set up with ratties in it.
The back seat is better anyway - no airbags.
It is a great cage to take somewhere for the ratties to stay in.
Actually it is large enough to be a permanent home for several ratties.

007.jpg

Back