Travel cage/carrier

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blytherue

What is the best thing to use for travel? I want to take the boys in for their first vet visit next month and I don't want to do it wrong lol. Here's what I have:
I took Iliaster & Panache home in this thing when they were babies, but it's probably only big enough for one rat now, so I guess I could use it if I took them in singly , if it's even appropriate at all. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... n=SHOP+FOR
Grady came to me in this cage and when I moved 2 hours south from Albany, ili, pan & Grady rode in here. They had a water bottle and dish of blocks during the drive, is that normal? Should they have that during the short trip to the vet. 4 boys seems a lot for this cage, should I take them in 2's? http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=3057120
what do you guys use when taking your ratties to the vet?

I travel with my rats every week back and forth between school and my parents' house (approx 1.5h) and my 5 full grown boys are quite content in their small cat carrier. I just have the cheapest one I could get at Walmart and I attach a small water bottle to the door, throw in some food and we are good to go. The first link you posted might be a little small and also if a rat is determined enough they can chew out (this happened to xxchelle). The second one should be fine but you might find it awkward for manuvering.

I use a pet taxi dog carrier. Works fine for me!

Also, I used to have the carrier on the first link. Mine chewed through it in 15 minutes.

Aha! Ok thanks guys. I didn't even think of a cat carrier, I think I just assumed the bar spacing would be too big for ratties, but now that I think about it...it wouldn't be...

In cold weather I use a cat carrier, I have 2 ..a purple one for the 4 girls & a blue one for the 5 boys. They all stay nice and warm because its not a huge space. But in the summer months they just sit on my shoulder.

When we travel, its a REALLY long drive, as our parents live 12 hours south of us. :? Our boys basically pile into hammocks and don't come out until we get there, they'd much rather sleep, they tend to refuse water until we get there, and eat only a little. So, when we only had two, our primary travel cage was a bird cage like this:
438662.jpg

It's about 14" on a side, and we used the bird grate in the bottom cut in half to make a shelf partway up. We hang a big hammock in it and they all pile in, and use the floor for the potty. I don't like to use it as a vet cage though, because the first time I did(for a neuter) the poor boy kept climbing in and out and up and down and wasn't doing so well, so for vet visits we use a bin cage of similar size, with the bottom all piled full of fleece to burrow in, and no hammock if surgery is planned.
Once we upped our colony to 4 big boys, we couldn't justify making them spend 12+ hours in that tiny little cage, even if they were sleeping, so now our car cage is the sugar glider cage we got as our first cage, when the boys were babies. Can't find a pic of that cage type right now, but it's about 4 cubic feet. We set the shelves so there isn't a lot of fall danger, and give them several hammocks so they can get away from each other if they need to.

And don't worry, they get more room once we get there - the bigger cage collapses nicely and tucks in the back of the car. :)

I use cat carries ATM but in the past I had a determined group that chewed their way out in less than 10 minutes. A basic small wire hammie cage worked great with them. If they're not going to be in there for an extended period of time, you can fit a surprising number of rats into a small carrier (I used to take 7 rats in a carrier that was approx. 25 cm x 15 cm) just make sure you put an igloo or something similar for them to hide in as they may be scared and want to huddle together. Also, my guys do not eat in the carrier, no matter what I put in, they are always to nervous, but I always do make food and water available.

We use either cat carriers or small sized hamster carriers. No one has tried to chew their way out (yet!). We put a small water bottle and food in the carrier, just in case, but they usually don't use it. Though apparently Clodhopper, after his amputation, woke up and grabbed a lab block right away! So it's good to give them the option in my opinion, especially if they're going in for surgery.

i'm currently using a rubbermaid with at least 100 1/2" holes drilled in each side....

But my girls have started sticking their noses through the holes and chewing the rubbermaid so i can tell it wouldn't be good for more than an hour haha!

When I moved they just sat inside my cardigan. They were quite happy to snuggle against my tummy and sleep... which is strange becasue they're normally bananas with energy....

I use a tote with holes in the lid. :D

I would keep lab blocks available but for the drive maybe not attach the water bottle... I always find they leak in the car ride. But I take one with me and offer it before we take off, at any stops, and when we reach our destination. :) Keeps the carrier dry! :D

I use the double door cat carrier. You can hook a water bottle to the front and get them in and out through the top. With the door on top it also makes it easier to take out one at a time....unless you have a jumper of course. My ratties also like to play in it during out time and Ive had mine for over 10 years and it still looks new. :thumbup:

i got a small bird cage off of craigslist for my 2 girls when I travel or clean their cage( when there is no one else around for them to climb on that is) I got a hammie in there and usually fill it with a log hidey cave and a ladder plus some food and fleece. They don't like it, but they don't hate it. And personally, for 5 bucks , I think it was a good buy, its not too small but not huge and it easy to clean. Plus no chewing since it is a cage.

Back