Toxoplamosis?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I be worried about catching this from my ratties?

I was told that they carry it as well as cats.

I just researched it and I am a little frightened of what I read. They used to say only pg women had to worry and be careful that it wouldn't hurt anyone else but not they have all this other info thats actually very scary!

So would appreciate any info you can give me and if you know of any good reliable info to look up.
I'm a little freaked!
Thanks
ratroo

Do you have cats as well? Rats would get infected by picking up the parasite from cat feces. It is mainly a wild rat disease, not a pet rat disease unless your rats play in your cat's feces.
Unfortunately, it is transmissible to humans if your rat is infected with toxoplasma gondii causing toxoplasmosis.

http://www.ratbehavior.org/WildRatDisease.htm

Do keep in mind that dogs, hamsters and other small animals can "carry" the protozoa that causes toxoplasmosis.
People with pets should always use good hygiene practices, always wash your hands after handling your pets and their toys/habitats.

I'm doing so more reading and it seems that dogs do not shed the eggs so can't be transmittable to humans. From what I've been reading, the eggs are formed in cats and the eggs come out during defecation. So now I'm not sure if rats do the same with their feces. Rats carry the protozoa but the eggs can only be formed in the cat's gut. Wouldn't that mean that rats are not infectious to humans?

jorats said:
I'm doing so more reading and it seems that dogs do not shed the eggs so can't be transmittable to humans. From what I've been reading, the eggs are formed in cats and the eggs come out during defecation. So now I'm not sure if rats do the same with their feces. Rats carry the protozoa but the eggs can only be formed in the cat's gut. Wouldn't that mean that rats are not infectious to humans?

i believe you are right jo, from the very quick reading i did. you can get it from cats feces or under cooked, infected meat.

Hi all where did you all find this info. I haven't really found anything that says what you guys found. All I can find is all the stuff it can do to you.
I'd appreciate some links or something so that I can find this info too.
Thanks
rhsm

I copied some info from a veterinary book i have with me at the minute in a different thread:
http://www.jorats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15958

Toxoplasma gondii
The final host for T.Gondii is the cat. Sexual reproduction occurs in the epithelial cell sof the small intestine. Oocysts are produces that are passed in the faeces. The cat usually shows no sign of infection and normally, after excreting oocysts for about 10days, becomes immune and stops production. Asexual reproduction occurs in the extra-intestinal (outside of the intestine) tissue of almost any animal. Following ingestion of oocysts or asexual stages the sporozoites leave the intestine and travel to tissue, particularly muscle or brain. Here they divide to form tachyzoites. Once an immune response is started by the host these undergo slower division; they are then known as bradyzoites. these remain in the tissue in hope that they will one day be eaten by a cat.
These cysts in tissue are minute and cause little problem except in certain circumstances:

- A ewe is infected for the first time during pregnancy. Some cysts may occur in the placenta and may cause abortion.
- A woman is infected for the first time during pregnancy, e.g. by eating meat containing bradyzoites or accidentally swallowing sporulated oocysts. Infection of the foetus may result and, depending on the stage of pregnancy, this may result in abortion, severe abnormalities or no clinical signs at all. Fortunately, infections during human pregnancy are not common. Further information and information leaflets can be obtained from the Toxoplasmosis Trust.
- Infection in humans may be associated with malaise and flu-like symptoms that vary in severity from individual to individual.
- Cysts in immunosuppresed individuals may once again begin to undergo rapid division and cause severe tissue lesions.

In order to try and prevent these infections occuring:
- Farmers are advised to prevent cats, particularly young cats, from getting into food stores intended for sheep. There is now a vaccine against toxoplasma for sheep.
- Pregnant woman are advised to take precautionary measures. For example, they should not clean out cat litter trays, they should wear gloves when gardening and they should ensure all meat is thoroughly cooked before eating it.

There is no effective treatment to prevent oocysts shedding in the cat. Children that have been infected prenatally are treated with antibacterials to prevent any long-term efects.
It is now recognised that there is a seperate parasite, Neospora Caninum, that may cause incoordination in young dogs and abortion in cattle. In the past, infection was normally ascribed to Toxoplasmia gondii. It is believed that the dog may be the final host for this parasite.

And a vet dictionary i have:
Toxoplasma gondii - A coccidial parasite of the cat that can use many mammals and birds as intermediate hosts; most cats are asymptomatic and may periodically excrete the protozoa; the oocysts take at least 24 hours to become infective and so daily cleaning of litter trays is a useful control measure; in intermediate hosts, the parasite has a pedilection for the CNS and muscle, causing diverse neurological signs and cysts; the zoonotic form of the disease can lead to fetal abnormalities, fever and myalgia; diagnosis is confirmed by muscle biopsy (cysts) or demontrating a rising antibody titre to the organism.

As long as you keep up a good hygiene regime when cleaning out your cat litter (washing your hands before touching your rats or their cage or other equipment), and you do not let your rats come into contact with any used cat litter or cat faeces, then there shouldn't be a problem. By the sounds of it, the only real time to worry is if a pregnancy is involved - human or animal

Back