Tough Decision

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat.charmer

Cotton over 3 years old. She has a large tumor that weighs just as much her as well as HED. She can't clean herself any more so I have to bathe her once or twice a day. You would think there is no quality of life but her eyes are still bright and she tries so hard to run to the door of the cage whenever she sees me. When she's out on the couch with her, she still sniffs and looks around even if she can no longer run around. She still gives me kisses whenever I scratch her on her favourite spot. She's still eating and drinking even if I have to hand feed her.

So her 'mind' is still there and she's still full of life but I fear her body is just going to give out on her faster than I can get her to a vet to be put to sleep humanely. So do I pre-emptively take her in or wait and take the risk??

I hate these decisions :(

rat.charmer said:
Cotton over 3 years old. She has a large tumor that weighs just as much her as well as HED. She can't clean herself any more so I have to bathe her once or twice a day. You would think there is no quality of life but her eyes are still bright and she tries so hard to run to the door of the cage whenever she sees me. When she's out on the couch with her, she still sniffs and looks around even if she can no longer run around. She still gives me kisses whenever I scratch her on her favourite spot. She's still eating and drinking even if I have to hand feed her.

So her 'mind' is still there and she's still full of life but I fear her body is just going to give out on her faster than I can get her to a vet to be put to sleep humanely. So do I pre-emptively take her in or wait and take the risk??

I hate these decisions :(

It's such a hard decision : ( I'm sorry you have to make it. It may seem unfair, but I think that if it were me, I would rather take her in earlier and let her pass on with dignity and without any suffering then wait until she is in pain. But I am emotionally detached from the situation. so I can't really say.

I wish you all the best with your little sweet heart. :hugs:

My thoughts on situations like this is to let them go when they are still happy. It really, really sucks to have to do but I can't stand to see my babies suffering so for me it is better to let them go too early rather than too late.

It really is a hard decision. I usually take them day by day, until a Friday. The weekend here, we have no vets that see rats so that's when most of mine get put down. :(

jorats said:
It really is a hard decision. I usually take them day by day, until a Friday. The weekend here, we have no vets that see rats so that's when most of mine get put down. :(

same here Jo...I get Saturday til 1 pm to make my decision (actually 11:30 because it takes me an hour to get there)

I'll take it day by day for now. Her eyes still have that sparkle and Boo is being VERY protective of her. There's a 24 hour emergency clinic that's about 8 blocks north of me and I'm about 15 mins away from Dr Munn so I have two fairly accessible vets. My heart just breaks :(

It is hard; yet you say her eyes still sparkle. I think, if it were me, when you no longer see the sparkle...when those same eyes tell you they're tired; then it's time. That can happen overnight; I know, been there, done that, although I've not had a rat live over three yet - so you're doing very well with her.

If you do have the emergency clinic available, then just keep loving her and letting her tell you when she's good and when she's no longer good; when that time comes, you'll know it. It'll show in her face and her eyes.

Blessings to you both.

It makes sense to keep her with you, since you have access to an emergency vet. I also get very tense as weekends approach, because I've been in a bind when there is no vet on call who treats rats.

So hard to think of saying goodbye to such a special girl, who has been with you for a very long life, so I hope that you get to enjoy a little longer with her. sounds like she is not ready to go.

Back