Tooth Trimming

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, most rats will never need their teeth trimmed.

Some rats have front teeth that do not line up properly so they do not wear properly. This can be caused by poor breeding, injury, etc. If their front teeth do not wear properly, they continue to grow and the rat may become unable to eat.

Please see the following:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1216

The only rat I have trimmed is Erin, she's got some mouth issues and her teeth don't line up. All my others grind them down themselves. Sometimes when a rat gets older and can't eat hard food it's a good idea to get them checked out by a knowledgeable vet to see what their opinion is.

I don't do my own tooth trim. I have a deal with my vet and she does it at a very reasonable rate.

Thanks :) Btw my little sister is named Erin. Hehe. I looked at all of my rats teeth, they are all nice and orange and straight. I feed them biscuits to keep them trim, also. Plus the rats love hte biscuits! They are dog biscuits, however i don't know if that is ok? What type of dog biscuits would you suggest? I also get rat treats, the latest ones i've bought are rattatouille ones from Walmart, and some biscuits with green filling that has apples in the filling.

Those treats aren't the best nutrition-wise. I'd try giving them some fresh foods, maybe some leftover scraps from a salad at dinner? :) Mine love fresh fruits (organic). But make sure that you limit treats quite a bit.

My in-laws have a plum tree growing outside their house, so my ratties get some fresh plum every day (not the pit, though).

Dog biscuits are not ideal unless yours are the low fat and low protein kind.
Rat blocks are an excellent food for them, it helps with the chewing as well.

Dog biscuits can be fine treats, but you want to find tiny sized treats with the smallest amount of protein and fat possible.

You can get these: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=9894392 in a very small size, and they are low protein and fat and have good basic ingredients (not lots of scary chemicals) BUT these are no replacement for their daily fruit and veggies.

I have a question along those lines. During Christmas time you can get nuts in the shell. We have gotten some brazil nuts as a treat fro the rats. They love stealing them from each other and hiding them, but mostly they love chewing on the shell to get the treat inside. Is that an ok kind of treat? Mind you they only get them rarely - like twice a year.

Catibrie said:
I have a question along those lines. During Christmas time you can get nuts in the shell. We have gotten some brazil nuts as a treat fro the rats. They love stealing them from each other and hiding them, but mostly they love chewing on the shell to get the treat inside. Is that an ok kind of treat? Mind you they only get them rarely - like twice a year.

Those make a good treat. :thumbup:

Moon said:
Dog biscuits can be fine treats, but you want to find tiny sized treats with the smallest amount of protein and fat possible.

You can get these: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=9894392 in a very small size, and they are low protein and fat and have good basic ingredients (not lots of scary chemicals) BUT these are no replacement for their daily fruit and veggies.

i get those same doggie treats too from walmart and they get it every once and while.

I get veggie nylabones edibles (carrot only no meat products) at they are super low on both protein and fat, as well as Natures Choice All Natural Dog Biscuits. They come in assorted flavours and have crazy low protein and fat. They are also hard so they ground down the teeth well. We drill a hole in the cookies and hang them in the cage and the rats go nuts.

Back