Too loud!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

Hello,

I have two female rats around 8 months old. i let them out to free range my room (lots of climbing and running space) for 2-6 hours depending on my schedule for that day. I keep their cage clean and give them apple branches and popsicle sticks to chew on. They never play with their ball. The problem is, when I put them back into their cage they chew on the bars. Very loudly :panic: :panic: .

I am moving soon and this will definitely be a problem. I've had my rats for 7 months and they've always done this, but it was never really an issue before.

Does anyone know how to make them stop? Something to amuse them and keep them busy? Or maybe something to do to the cage itself to make it quieter? I've tried many "homemade toys" but nothing keeps them interested for more than 15 minutes. Treats will keep them quiet but only for a little bit.

Alright, thanks!

Dimensions would be better...either way the only thing I can think of is boredom, my Natal Marley used to chew her cage bars like crazy even with a wheel and all, now she lives in a tank and seems happy, but a tank isn't an option for rats so you may have to wait to see what someone with more expertise says on this matter.

I am not too sure how to make them stop but i do wish you good luck :) i know a rat that also did this(not my rat) and now shes has a bad case of Malocclusion :sad3:

What about adding a wheel? um more stuff to chew on snack huts and such?

I'd get them a bigger cage if you can. The fact that they have free range time for 2 to 6 hours could be contributing to their eating the bars. When they get all the room for a big chunk of the day, they must feel enclosed in their little cage and want to be out and are actively trying to break out.

I agree with Jo.
When I had just one cage, lol, I let my boys free range the WHOLE day and evening. Then at night, when they had to go back into the cage, there was some serious bar chewing....
They'd gotten used to running around, and climbing, doing what ever they please in a space larger than they could really comprehend.

I got them, and most of the rescues now, a dbl FN, and they seem content noe with the much bigger cage. Levels make a HUGE difference too, and constantly changing their toys, etc helps out too.

I've been looking in the classifieds and stuff for a larger cage, or maybe one to attach to mine. I'm a university student so I can't afford much at the moment. I try to make use of the space in my cage: there's two levels, ladders, beds, and some hammocks.

I usually change the cage around about once a month. I'll try to do it once a week.

I didn't realize there could be TOO MUCH free range time.

the lone boy in the little cage i got from a girl on craigslist used to chew his bars constantly. i've got all 3 of my boys in a double fn (overkill lol) now and there is no bar chewing. i'd have to agree with the cage size problem. keep checking ads, you'll probably get lucky and find something cheap sooner or later. hopefully you won't fall into the same trap i did and end up with another rat instead lol.

jorats said:
It's not really too much out time, just understandable that they'd want to stay out. :wink2:

This is what I meant hun, they feel they shouldn't have to EVER be in behinde bars....
A bigger cage would help this.
Kijiji is your best friend when looking to upgrade your cage i've found. Look at parrot cages too, they can easily be converted by adding homemade shelves, etc.

Back