Toby **Update Jan 2/2010**

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should azithriomycin be given twice a day and for how long?
Toby was prescribed azithriomycin for 10 days at once a day (0.3) + Clenbuterol (horse decongestent) twice a day for 30 days last time he had resp issues ..this gave us good results for 4 months with no meds at all. When I started intros with Scamp, Toby got a flare up ..I am guessing from the stress of it all ..so I started him on azithriomycin and clenbuterol again ..he finished his azithriomycin 3 days ago, but still has clenbuterol for 17 days.
He is only congested when he is sleeping/lying down ..when he is up, he is fine ..it's like fluid builds up when he lays down.
He eats fine and acts fine.
I recently took away all shredded newspaper and started using fleece in hopes that it will help since the paper has some dust.
I also did the whole shower thing which cleared him up nicely ..he sneezed out also of mucus build up.

We have tried baytril twice a day for 6 weeks, we have tried baytril + doxy ..baytril and doxy worked ..but he was on them ALL the time ..the azithriomycin is the first thing that he had that got him off meds for 4 months.

Should I be giving him azithriomycin longer at twice a day? maybe add baytril with it?

100mg/5ml is the strength ..he gets 0.3 mls once a day for 10 days ..he did weight 570, now 590

He symptoms are:

Congested breathing only when just waking up/lying down.
Sneezes

No eye discharge.

When my vet gives Zithro, he gives it for a minimum of two weeks, and twice a day. The Rat Guide recommends twice a day for two weeks, then once a day for an additional two weeks - so four weeks total.

Edit:

Rat Guide also says this:

Reconstituted oral suspension good for 10 days stored at room temperature.

So maybe that's why your vet only gave you 10 days worth? Did he tell you to come back for more? My vet gives me a prescription which I pick up at the local pharmacy, and I mix it myself, so I ask them to split it into a couple different bottles - 100mg in each bottle. Maybe you could do this as well. (Though I'll warn you, the pharmacist will give you weird looks! :lol: When I was going through the Sendai, I went to the pharmacy with a prescription for 1000mg of Zithro, and I asked for it in 10 separate bottles of 100mg each... you should have seen the glare I got!)

xxchelle said:
When my vet gives Zithro, he gives it for a minimum of two weeks, and twice a day. The Rat Guide recommends twice a day for two weeks, then once a day for an additional two weeks - so four weeks total.

Edit:

Rat Guide also says this:

Reconstituted oral suspension good for 10 days stored at room temperature.

So maybe that's why your vet only gave you 10 days worth? Did he tell you to come back for more? My vet gives me a prescription which I pick up at the local pharmacy, and I mix it myself, so I ask them to split it into a couple different bottles - 100mg in each bottle. Maybe you could do this as well. (Though I'll warn you, the pharmacist will give you weird looks! :lol: When I was going through the Sendai, I went to the pharmacy with a prescription for 1000mg of Zithro, and I asked for it in 10 separate bottles of 100mg each... you should have seen the glare I got!)

Thanks Chelle!!
That's a really good idea.
I could imagin the glares you got :giggle:
I'll mention this to my vet.

[quote:3aayad5r]Reconstituted oral suspension good for 10 days stored at room temperature.

So maybe that's why your vet only gave you 10 days worth? Did he tell you to come back for more?[/quote:3aayad5r]

No he never, but only because he got better the first time, and was better for 4 months after, lol
I do have an appoitnment for Monday (in 6 days) so I will mention this all too him, and I'll take the medicationg guide and Zithro guide with me!

Not alot of people bring their rat's in regarding illnesses ..I am actually the first person who got a prescription for Azithriomycin from him :giggle: although ihe is experienced with Baytril & Doxy!
Although, alot of people get their rats neutered but not treated for illnesses:wallbang:

I hate living in a place that rat's arnt common pets!

My vet is learning though, esp with the help of you people :) and his rat vet forum!!

Edit: Should I get another medication to go with it? other than the clenbuterol?, he says Doxy should nto be mixed with it, would baytril help?

That's kind of funny, that your vet says doxy cannot be used with it because that is exactly what ratguide.com suggests you use. :giggle: BUT in this case see if you can get baytril to add to it. I have used both doxy/zithro and baytril/zithro and the b/z seems to work much much better IMO. Its my big gun antibiotic combo. :D

In the past my vet has also said that Doxy should not be used with Zithro. There are documented cases of the combo causing strokes. But that was a long time ago.
For Zithro, it's always a minimum of 28 days. The first 7 days at twice a week, the other 21 days at once a week.

jorats said:
In the past my vet has also said that Doxy should not be used with Zithro. There are documented cases of the combo causing strokes. But that was a long time ago.
For Zithro, it's always a minimum of 28 days. The first 7 days at twice a week, the other 21 days at once a week.

& that's the reason why my vet won't use it together.

lilspaz68 said:
That's kind of funny, that your vet says doxy cannot be used with it because that is exactly what ratguide.com suggests you use. :giggle:

Bacteriostatic, broad-spectrum antibiotic. Good for respiratory infections. Has been shown to have excellent results on younger rats, but is less effective on chronic, older rats. Use in combination with Doxycycline for better results in these cases. (Caution: there have been two reported cases of stroke using this combination, although they have not been definitively connected to use of either drug.) Does attack mycoplasma specifically. Cherry flavored — most rats love it. Expensive. Prescription needed.
- directly quoted off ratguide

This is why he don't like to use it together

Okay, so my plan is to get Zithro for 28 days + Baytril BUT my appointment is not until Monday!
I could go in for a walk in, but that still leaves me until Thursday because he isnt in until then, and the ER Dr. is not experienced in rats.

So I do have Doxy capsules here, would it be benificial for me to start toby on just doxy tonight? and take him to get Zithro on Thursday?(walk in) or could it wait until Monday (appointment time)?

Right now he is still eating and acting well, and is only congested when lying down!

Edit: I forgot I also have Baytril on hand here ..so I could start him on just Doxy ..or I could do doxy + baytril ?????

jorats said:
I would start him on Doxy and Baytril asap. And ask for more when you see your vet. :thumbup:

So continue the doxy/baytril combo for a month ..even though it stopped working a few months back?
If I do continue and after a month he is not better, then start the Zithro + Baytril?

Sorry for the hundreds of questions guys ..and thanks for the help!

Edit: He was on the doxy/baytril combo long term for 4-5 months and then it stopped working.

Ok... I'd probably do the Zithro then.
It's so hard with knowing what when and which meds to do. We went through this back in 2002 - 2004 with our vet, it was all trial and error, my vet doing her research, while we tried everything she was throwing at us. But it's always tough when first doing the trial and error. It seems to be different for all rats. You want to nip it in the bud.

Thanks Jo!

I found the Zithro gave him the best results, and like what was said up above ..it wasn't given long enough, which made it come back :wallbang:

PS: I also have a humidfyer and air purifyer in the rat room!

Trial and error sucks ..but we will eventually get it ..my vet searches and we search and then we both combine our ideas!

Would someone mind checking my dosing?

Doxy - 500 mg/ml Capsules, Mix 1 with 50 mls of water ..give 0.3 mls twice a day

Baytril - 50 mg/ml Inj. Diluted to 25 mg/ml ..give 0.22 mls twice a day

Note: These are not the dosages from the vet, I am just calculating myself ..the last time toby was on these meds, he was a different weight.

Just something to double check is how old the baytril is as I believe injectable baytril is only good for 6 months. Not that it becomes harmful after that it just might not be as effective and it sounds like at this point you need it to be as effective as possible.

smilez_n_hugs said:
Just something to double check is how old the baytril is as I believe injectable baytril is only good for 6 months. Not that it becomes harmful after that it just might not be as effective and it sounds like at this point you need it to be as effective as possible.

I only got the Baytril 2 weeks ago!

I always highlight expiry dates when I get medication!

lilspaz68 said:
That's kind of funny, that your vet says doxy cannot be used with it because that is exactly what ratguide.com suggests you use. :giggle: BUT in this case see if you can get baytril to add to it. I have used both doxy/zithro and baytril/zithro and the b/z seems to work much much better IMO. Its my big gun antibiotic combo. :D

Could you check my dosing? please

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=21864

Ratty Momma said:
[quote="smilez_n_hugs":3bwqdcs3]Just something to double check is how old the baytril is as I believe injectable baytril is only good for 6 months. Not that it becomes harmful after that it just might not be as effective and it sounds like at this point you need it to be as effective as possible.

I always highlight expiry dates when I get medication![/quote:3bwqdcs3]

Oh ok I just wanted to make sure it wasn't from when Toby was sick before.

smilez_n_hugs said:
[quote="Ratty Momma":3ffx0n4n][quote="smilez_n_hugs":3ffx0n4n]Just something to double check is how old the baytril is as I believe injectable baytril is only good for 6 months. Not that it becomes harmful after that it just might not be as effective and it sounds like at this point you need it to be as effective as possible.

I always highlight expiry dates when I get medication![/quote:3ffx0n4n]

Oh ok I just wanted to make sure it wasn't from when Toby was sick before.[/quote:3ffx0n4n]

Thanks for the heads up :)

jorats said:
PM lilspaz... she's a genius at dosing.

Already done that a few hours ago :giggle:

I'm anxious as I want to start them tonight ..it's already 11 pm here.

Back