Toby the cat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
Toby is/was my fat cat. I'm not proud of the fact that after her spay and declawing :)oops:) she became very lazy and just ate her way through life. She became so obese, each time I would look at her, pet her, I would think, tomorrow, I'll do something about it. She was 27 lbs. Finally, it took her to gasp before I smarten up and brought her to the vet. She was put on prednisone and we started our year long battle with weight loss. Not only was Toby over weight but so were my other two cats: Ruby was 19 lbs and Cally was 18 lbs. All three were put on a strict vet diet and we worked on an exercise routine. Every two weeks we called the vet with new weights and she would tell us how much to reduce their food.
It's been over a year now, Ruby is now 12 lbs and Cally is now 11 lbs. They are looking great. Toby has gone down to 16 lbs!!! I'm so very proud of her and me.

Today, she needed a bath. I took pics of her:

WetToby2.jpg

WetToby.jpg

Tobydrying.jpg

Our goal is to have all three cats at 11 lbs and maintaining. All three girls are 14 years old so we don't want too much weight loss. I never thought my big girl Toby would look like a cat again, as opposed to a beached whale. :oops:

That second pic had me busting out laughing!! :lol:

She's very cute. And congrats on the weight loss of all the kitties. That's a big accomplishment!! :D

Wow! I can't believe that she actually looks dignified when wet. Usually wet cats have a miserable/hateful expression. I still have a huge scar down the middle of my back from the one and only time I tried to bathe my old kitty Mirelda.

What a great catch that 2nd picture is! Is she talking to you, or giving you what-for?
She's beautiful, and I'm sure even more so when she's not all wet. Congratulations on the successful diets. They're all great accomplishments, but from 27 to 16 is outstanding!

What a triumph with that weight loss! :thumbup:
I feel your pain. My cat Gus is 15lbs. Even as an indoor/outdoor cat and low fat vet diet AND meal plan he still maintains that weight. He should weigh four ponds less. He's just recently become an exclusively indoor cat, and I'm worried he'll start packing on the pounds.

Applause for you and the cats! :D

It's refreshing to see someone doing something about their obese cats. So many patients come in and look so unhealthy and their owners just won't try and change it. It's frustrating.

I think that a lot of it (but I'm not saying everyone) has to do with the fact that people just plop down food and fill the bowl whenever it is empty. It is important to control the amount of food your pets eat. I do that with all of my pets (except my dog because she is way skinny and never eats enough).

What a great success story. :thumbup: I know that you, and your kids worked hard on your kitties weight loss program because I can hear the stampede going up and down the apartment stairs everyday for your cats' exercise! :tongwigl: :urock:

LOL!
Yep, that's our exercise regime. Bring the cats all the way to the basement laundry room and race them all the way back up to third floor. Toby has to do it 2 times, Cally and Ruby get it 5 times a day.

jorats said:
LOL!
Yep, that's our exercise regime. Bring the cats all the way to the basement laundry room and race them all the way back up to third floor. Toby has to do it 2 times, Cally and Ruby get it 5 times a day.
That's quite the exercise regime!

Back