Toby is not looking good! Help! (RIP)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a flovent or ventolin? Red pump or blue pump. If you have both, I would do the red pump. Next time, so not to stress her out too much, I would just place her in a comfy box and spray inside the box and close it so she only breathes in the spray.
I hope she feels better soon.

Oh poor baby! She is absolutely precious. If this was sudden, maybe she should be on Baytril+Clavamox. Lasix may be worth trying too, or a steroid. The way she breathes is like when Ed has bad days with her pulmonary abscesses.

What about trying her in a warm, steamy bathroom by running the shower? A bit of Vicks in a bowl of hot water but at a distance can sometimes help too; the camphor in it. I hope your little one will be okay. Prednisone would probably help reduce the inflammation, but I wouldn't try lasix until she is better hydrated.

We have the blue, red and green pumps... I'll try the red pump.. I did the blue pump earlier.

I'll try to get either Zithro or Clavamox... and if I can't get either.. or even get the Sub-Q (my vet is dumb and thinks Baytril is all that is safe for rats).. then I might need to consider euthanasia as I wouldn't want to let her suffer if there's minimal hope of her getting better without the right treatment.

Aw poor babe. Sending lots of healing vibes your way :cuddle: . I would keep giving her ensure since she might not be eating properly if she can't breath well. What is the rat-phoning you tried? I hope she gets better soon :heart:

Thanks for all the good wishes and healing vibes. She's still the same today.. but not any worse. She does have energy though as she tries to climb on me and she gets into hammocks.. determined girl. :heart:

Eleanor, "rat-phoning" is holding your rat's chest to your ear, as if you're using them as a phone and listening to their heart/lungs. You hear things you don't hear by simply listening to their breathing. :)

Going to the vet in 2 hours! Wish her luck! Last night I was definitely thinking of putting her to sleep, as to spare her any pain (and because of having a crappy vet).. but today I'm determined to keep her alive... as she's so determined to stay alive.
I will try to get the vet to sell me Sub-Q equipment so I can do it at home. I will also try to get zithro or clavamox.. but chances are that it will be clavamox.

Oh I hope she gets better but I can understand you thinking of having her pts. There is nothing worse than seeing them like that. :hugs:
We're sending you some loving vibes.

Ask your vet for dexamethasone if they will let you, butterfly needles, ringers lactate if you are only going to use it for sub-q, saline if you plan on nebulizing. Gentocin if you can get it as its an injectable antibiotic you can give her with fluids and desx. I hope i didn't miss you

Back