To strip fleece of pee build up and smell(now with picture

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangel

Do you find that your fleece smells after using for 1 day? Well this may help you to get the smell out. You can do this every month or ever other month to have your fleece smelling good again.

First fill bathtub with very hot water, add a teaspoon of dawn Regular (blue can get at most dollaramas) mix up a bit and then add your fleece and then let them sit in that until water has cooled.

dawnliquid.jpg

Now fill your washing machine with hot water and run a full cycle with 1/2 teaspoon of dawn(be very careful of this you do not want bubbles all over the place!) then do rinses until you see no bubbles on top when you stop machine to see(may need two or more)

Then dry as you would(do not use any dryer sheets ever) and your fleece should smell good as new and ammonia free.

Tips:
Never use fabric softeners it will just build up on the fleece and make them smell bad faster.
Never use farbic dryer sheets same thing as above.
Try using a laundry detergent with no Enzymes,Fabric Softeners,Brighteners,Scents, or Dyes.

Examples of some good brands:
  • Attitude - Baby,Fragrance Free, Standard and HE compatible
    105llaundrybaby.png
    [/*:m:3oj0zpon]
  • Claudia's Choices
    claudiaschoices770g.jpg
  • Country Save Powder Laundry Detergent,Standard and HE compatible
    powder3x.jpg
  • Crunchy Clean
    bag1h.jpg
  • Eco-Max -Liquid,Standard and HE compatible
    laundryhypom.jpg
  • Mountain Green Free & Clear or Mountain Green baby
    fcbabydetergent350.jpg
  • Nature Clean All Natural Laundry Liquid or powder(found at loblaws)
    dddc8261db478624a21ee9d.jpg
  • Nellie's -All natural Laundry Soda,Laundry Nuggets(found more at baby cloth diapers stores)
    nellies.jpg
  • Rockin' Green Unscented Cloth Diaper Detergent(another found mostly at cloth diaper stores)
    rockingreensoapclassicr.jpg

Well i hope this helps some people with fleece :) Enjoy!

jorats said:
You soak your fleece before washing them? I've always thrown them right in the machine. They always come out clean.

Oh yes for normal washing how you wash is ok i mean you can do this "strip" way like once every month or every second month, more when you find there is a smell to them or they get smelly quicky :D

lilangel said:
jorats said:
You soak your fleece before washing them? I've always thrown them right in the machine. They always come out clean.

Oh yes for normal washing how you wash is ok i mean you can do this "strip" way like once every month or every second month, more when you find there is a smell to them or they get smelly quicky :D
Oh... ya... I know what you mean. I'm going to try that!

Thanks for posting this. Sometimes liners last me months and months and there's always a little stench to them even after I've washed them.

I rinse mine in plain water before putting them in the wash with regular laundry soap and a bit of baking soda. Easy, peasy, smells like a summer breezy! :wink2:

I always add a bit of vinegar to the rinse water each time and have never had a problem with smell :) I use nothing but fleece liners - but I also put an old towel underneath each liner to absorb the pee. This keeps the fleece nice and dry.

Kind of a silly question, but those of you who use vinegar...

I live in apt building and therefore do not stay with the machines when I do laundry and the doors lock so I can't just throw vinegar in there. Luckily they replaced the washers here recently with HE front loading washers with an extra rinse cycle (LOVE!). Now there are places for bleach, fabric softener and the detergent. I don't use bleach or softener so those are open for vinegar... so, which one would I put the vinegar in, the fabric softener or bleach area? I really don't know if they are used at separate times or what cycle they are used in.

Anyone know?

crumbilina said:

I live in apt building and therefore do not stay with the machines when I do laundry and the doors lock so I can't just throw vinegar in there. Luckily they replaced the washers here recently with HE front loading washers with an extra rinse cycle (LOVE!). Now there are places for bleach, fabric softener and the detergent. I don't use bleach or softener so those are open for vinegar... so, which one would I put the vinegar in, the fabric softener or bleach area? I really don't know if they are used at separate times or what cycle they are used in.

Anyone know?

I would say in the fabric softener spot, Jenny. The fabric softener is the last cycle.

lilangel said:
I would say you would have to maybe do it at your place then drain them as much as you can then bring down to the machines to wash?

Hehe tried this, ended up trailing water all the way down to the laundry room by accident >.< Apparently I wasn't able to squeeze out all the water AND my laundry basket has a hole int he bottom. Even when I spent a lot of extra time just trying to get everything out, it still dripped all the way down... I could use a bin instead of the laundry basket, but I figure since there is an extra rinse cycle and a place for the vinegar, I might as well take that route.

eagle said:
crumbilina said:

Anyone know?

I would say in the fabric softener spot, Jenny. The fabric softener is the last cycle.

Thank you :) I will try that and see how it works

eagle said:

That's what I do! On the piggies site, they mention you can put vinegar both in the wash and rinse cycles. Don't know wheter it really makes a difference, though... and for a single use, I would trust rinse cycle the most.

Unepuce said:
eagle said:

That's what I do! On the piggies site, they mention you can put vinegar both in the wash and rinse cycles. Don't know wheter it really makes a difference, though... and for a single use, I would trust rinse cycle the most.

Yep. I put it in the fabric softener spot - diluted with some water and just leave it - hasn't failed me yet :D

I put it plain, not diluted. Fill up the fabric softner spot and let it work!

Perfect for the rats... for my piggies though... I am trying the stripping method right as I am writing this! :nod: (with a piggy on my lap, too!)

Unepuce said:
I put it plain, not diluted. Fill up the fabric softner spot and let it work!

Perfect for the rats... for my piggies though... I am trying the stripping method right as I am writing this! :nod: (with a piggy on my lap, too!)

Aw, I love piggies :heart: My daughter (and I) had a couple of lovely ones when she was young. Maybe again sometime :nod:

Those will be my last, sadly, because I am allergic to them. But I sure will miss their screaming for food and their hopeful hungry look when they see you... They really are adorable furballs. :heart:

Back