To Separate or Not To Seperate

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanya

Rat Enthusiast
So in a DCN I have 4 males. First there was Elliott and Teddy, the two brothers. Then Ludwig was added. Then finally Maddox. Now, Maddox was a rescue from a pet store(bad, I know. But we had a connection...). Maddox is terrified most of the time. I try to cuddle him, feed him treats, etc. I've had him a few months now. He is so skiddish. Sometimes he will squeak when I pick him up. Something bad must've happened to him. That's another story, but it contributes to this one.
The boys are perfectly fine in the daytime. They all cuddle and sleep together. They're angels.
Night-time is terrible. I get up multiple times a night by squealing to go in there and tell them to cut it out. Teddy chases poor Maddox around the whole DCN. Maddox is crying the whole time. There are never injuries. I've seen them all pick on Maddox at least once. But Teddy is the main culprit. They are in a different room than my bedroom so I don't know exactly what happens. After I go in there Maddox sits or lays on one of the ledges and stays there. He will squeak if I go in there and pick him up. I think some bullying is going on but they are fine during the day! Normally I can tell what I need to do but I'm stuck. Neutering really isn't an option right now because I'd have to save up for it and it'd take a while. Please help me :stupid:
I've attached a picture of Maddox because he's too cute

0613161545.jpg

Last edited:
If they seem fine during the day, I wouldn't separate them. Does Maddox seem very scared of his cage buddies during the day? If these are night time antics, that's pretty normal.

They are just night time antics. The only one he is nervous around is me during the day. Again I got up last night about 3 times to screaming and had to go in there so they would stop

Well just found one big scratch that was once an open wound on Teddy,under his chin and near his shoulder. Do you think that Maddox will do better with a baby instead? I have a rescue litter and I was planning on keeping a male anyways. I'm scared to put him with these guys though. I've never had this problem before. :/

If it is bad, he is getting harmed or very unhappy:

You could try him with 2 babies (babies need another baby to play with so need to be adopted in same sex pairs or groups)
Please see http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32368

or you could keep him with the others during the day, house him and at least 1 of the others separate during the night, and continue working on intros

Edit: and keep saving up for neuter(s)

Last edited:
Back