To euthenize or not

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it comes to medicating and sick rats I always try meds first before I euth. I've had numerous URI's that have cleared up very well (one reoccuring due to possible issues with a moldy apartment we lived in). UTI's that cleared up well with abs (quite shocking to say the least when you see blood down there), PT (which is devestating however trying the meds first to bring them back even for a short while is always worth it for me. I find that they tell you when it's time. They refuse food, meds and any sort of liquid. My philosphy, try meds first always, you might clear up what the issue is and have your rat for many more months.

Good luck at the vet.

I totally agree LA... got back from the vet a short time ago , we are on meds for the next 3wks but Dr. Blaney said Squirts lungs are pretty much crap at this point his heart is strong but as Dr. Blaney said the poor thing is working hard to bring oxygen down to his lungs...we'll see how he responds and if meds need to be changed over the next couple of weeks then come to a decision...

We found that a good injected dose of Baytril/Steroid takes a good day to get to work but if giving Baytril oraly too we try mixing with a sweet taste like a flavoured custard on a teaspoon..and keep up the Hydration for as long as he needs its most important part of treatment...Peanut was a very ill Rattie and our Vet (Changed to better Vet)said PTS...but we wanted to give him a chance..so we gave him his Meds and Hydration...He stayed with us for another 4 months until he was hit by a tumour but during those 4 months he was a happy kissy rattie...He will let you know when its time to go Hope all goes well ...Healing Vibes sent from the UK

PS ... Belive in Rattie Miracles and you'll be surprised

Back