To Euthanize...or not!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read over your post again Dahlas ...
With respect to your points ....

1.Only take as many as your shelter will hold...and close your doors as soon as you are full………..but then people drop them of at your gate, leave them in boxes on the doorstep......what do you do?

When shelters start refusing to take in animals, really, really bad things happen to those animals - Peta has published regarding this and the types of depraved things people have done to animals after being turned away from a shelter. A humane death at the hands of kind people is much preferable.

2. Euthanize any overflow………most of the ones coming in are young and beautiful kittens or adolescents. it is hard to kill babies just beginning their lives.

I don't know how to choose which animals to have pts but I do know that there are much worse things than a humane death. It is horrible and heatbreaking to have to euthanize healthy wonderful animals but with the huge number of animals needing homes and the relatively few good homes available, it is sometimes the kindest thing you can do.

:hugs:

i say... i could never work in a shelter.. but i DEFINATELY appreciate those who do and even more so admire those who can make the tough decisions.
i dont think i could have an animal euthanized unless it was suffering (of some sort).. but thats just me. ive never been in the position to have to make that tough decision to have to euthanize an animal due to any other reason. i feel lucky in that manner.
even reciently, linds has asked me if i would consider being a foster.. but i had to say no.. at least for right now.. and the reason being is that we already have more than i ever expected. if i were to foster, i would become too attached and then come addoption time, i wouldnt be able to go thru with it.. and then what would i do about things say like vet bills. i dont want to have more than i can afford.
so ya. like i said.. i appreciate those who are able to make those decisions. you are very strong.

Back