to cover or not to cover?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratsr4life

i will be driving back to ontario, and my rats will be in a ferret cage along the way. the travelling will be about two or three days.

should i cover the cage so its dark? or should they be exposed to the car and all the traffic passing by?

Maybe an igloo would be better? I've never done a car trip longer than 4 hours with my rats and they've always handled it wonderfully. I just make sure they weren't in the direct sunlight or right in front of a blasting A/C.

I think personally, I'd cover the cage to begin with and then take it off as they get more used to their new surroundings. They really won't be able to see the traffic, they'll know though that they are somewhere different.

As long as they have a hammock to swing in and a house, box etc with blankets to burrow under, they should be ok
But you do not want them in a cage they can climb in case you need to swerve or stop fast and they go flying.

I've never traveled with a large group of rats, but I have made quite a few interstate trips with 2-4 rats and never had any problems. My girls have all LOVED car rides.
I use a small carrier instead of a full cage, and put something like a sock or pants leg in it -- something they can snuggle up inside of and hide. In my experience, within the first half-hour of the ride, they'll curl up and fall asleep. Along with their regular food, I give them vegetables with a lot of moisture to eat to keep them hydrated (my favorite was jicama, don't know if you can get that outside of the Southwest USA), and whenever we make a pit stop I offer them water (water bottles leak. they need to make a non-leaky waterbottle design!) and let them run around (supervised, of course!) in my back seat. On the really hot trip through Arizona, I also gave them ice cubes to lick.

I always kept their carriers in my floorboard because it was the coolest place in the car (my air conditioner is unreliable at best) and the carriers wouldn't move around too bad.

I've roadtripped with a LOT of rats this way. Athena and Squeakers made a 7 hour drive to my parent's house for Thanksgiving; Athena also made at least two 3-hour drives and a 10-hour drive to Colorado. Velvet & the girls made a few 3-hour drives and the BIG roadtrip to Arizona (about 12 hours), and the boys made that same roadtrip back along with the girls (separate carriers, obviously).

Well-traveled ratties!

The only problems I've ever had with any of them have been with leaky water bottles, and arranging travel arrangements so they don't have to sit in the car at any point while you're eating (because resturaunts don't look too keenly on you bringing 'em in.)

It's very important to either secure the cage on the floor, or secure it on the seat so that it can't move. If you have to stop in an emergency, the cage could come flying off the seat, injuring two- and four-legged passengers.

fenshae said:
whenever we make a pit stop I offer them water (water bottles leak. they need to make a non-leaky waterbottle design!)
The only problems I've ever had with any of them have been with leaky water bottles, and arranging travel arrangements so they don't have to sit in the car at any point while you're eating (because resturaunts don't look too keenly on you bringing 'em in.)

I just made a 3 hr drive up to the cottage and brought one of my Water buddy water bottles. Not a single drop of water leaked! I've always loved them at home, now that ill be traveling with the boys I love em even more!

Back