TK...errr... buzzing???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RattyDreamer

I am not sure if this is a GOOD thing, or a BAD thing... but last night, TK was snuggled up on my shoulder with Kaz, when suddenly she started making what I can only describe as a quiet "buzzing" type noise. When I touched her, it felt like her little body was vibrating, making that noise. It only went on for a few seconds, then she'd go quiet, then she'd do it again. I'm just curious whether this is a happy rat noise, or a scared rat noise?? When I popped her and Kaz back in the cage a bit later, I tried to get them playing... ruffling them up a bit, putting my hand over them and really lightly shaking then letting go, tickling tummies etc. TK would kinda FREEZE, ears twitched back (reminded me of a horse doing the ears back thing before it's possibly gonna bite), then dash off. She'd come back and I'd do the same thing.. and she'd give the same response. So I'm guessing she wasn't freezing in fear?? She did the buzzing thing during this time as well.

I know I've had rats in the past, but seriously, things were really busy (or I was dealing with bad depression) and I never really played much with my rats (bad ratty Mum, I know... hence why I'm doing all I can to make things a HECK of a lot better this time round)... so it basically feels like I'm a completely new ratty mum again.
So far it's only TK that's done the vibrating/buzzing thing... but kinda makes me think maybe I shoulda stuck with her original name of Buzz!! :lol2:

Hehehee sounds like she is bruxxing. Its a happy little noise. Mostly chattering or grinding of the teeth with vibrations and boggly eyes. And the freezing then running off - if she was scared, she wouldn't come back. Patrick my 4month old boy does this too. if you wiggle your fingers he runs over, wrestles with your hands, freezes, dashes away (popcorns a bit lol) and comes back for more. If he is scared though he normally hides in a tube and doesnt come out with a kind of O.O expression and his ears right up front

ryelle said:
Hehehee sounds like she is bruxxing. Its a happy little noise. Mostly chattering or grinding of the teeth with vibrations and boggly eyes. And the freezing then running off - if she was scared, she wouldn't come back. Patrick my 4month old boy does this too. if you wiggle your fingers he runs over, wrestles with your hands, freezes, dashes away (popcorns a bit lol) and comes back for more. If he is scared though he normally hides in a tube and doesnt come out with a kind of O.O expression and his ears right up front

Lol.. never really known what bruxxing was like (or boggling..but have now seen YOUtube videos of boggling so have an idea now)... they sit and grind their teeth up on my shoulder, or in their hammock..but this is totally different. I've had someone else suggest maybe TK's on heat.

And I'd figured it was just her playing when she was doing the freezing thing and running off...because she kept coming back. She just LOOKS scared when she freezes..lol! That's what made me wonder whether she was actually just playing, especially with the vibrating/buzzing thing going on... she hasn't done it today so far tho.

Ive never owned girls, so i dont know about them going on heat. someone mentioned that they flap their ears or something when in heat. Id so love to see it :D

She could be in heat; the vibrating sounds familiar. Depends on whether she's grinding her teeth or vibrating or really buzzing. I think Jorats said that a low grunt could be a dominance thing. One of mine used to do a low sound that was not a respiratory problem and was a cross between a grunt and a buzz.

Interesting things our rats do when we pay close attention.

oooh, Im glad you mentioned the low grunt. Patrick does this when i pick him up, little beggar! Telling me hes more dominant! Tshk tshk!!!!

I think you should try and see what your girl is doing when she 'vibrates' next (you might need to walk to a mirror if shes on your shoulder), or listen for a teeth grind

she hasn't done it at all today.. so i'm guessing it was the on heat thing... she'd sit and "buzz" while grinding her teeth too... I've just learned that rats go on heat every 4 DAYS... sheesh.. didn't know it was THAT often!! :shock: :roll: So guess I'll just wait another 3 days and see if she gets like that again... but yeah, next time she does it, I'll go to a mirror and get a better look at what else she's doing! Totally love the buzzy thing tho...lol!!

Back