Tired of my cage yet? :P

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoA

Well, there are some people on here that I haven't met or seen before on rat forums, so I thought I'd post the story of my cage. I started off with a standard, 2-story FN, as seen here. Oh, and wow @ the amount of food in there. I guess I was still free-feeding at that point :shock:

fnverypink.jpg

I decided I wanted a bigger cage for my growing clan, but still wanted to use the FN. Since I live in the attic room, and don't like the idea of not being at eye-level with the rats, a third level was a no-go. I started pondering the idea of getting a second FN and attaching it to the original one. I examined my cage and realized that I couldn't do that without severly (and permanently) altering both cages. I thought about it for a while, and made up my mind that it would be best for the ratties to expand the cage that way. So, I purchased my second FN, and immediately took it home, put it together, and broke it :D

With only a hammer and a flat-head screwdriver, I was able to remove the wire on one full side of each FN. In all honesty, it doesn't take too much work to get the wire out! It's only welded in 3-4 places on each side.

fnopenontop.jpg

Mmm, mangled.

sdnlfknl.jpg

After a couple of hours, I had both FNs done by way of wire removal. That's when the exciting moment came - putting the two together! I just used some standard electrical/zip ties, which are actually very strong. Once I finished that, I just kind of stood there in amazement. I knew it was going to be big, but wow.

bigfn.jpg

The only "problems" I've come across with this monstrosity of a cage, is the fact that there's a 2"-3" gap in the middle, between the floor pans, where it's just the frame of the cage. It's not an issue at all - I just put folded-to-size fleece between the pans, therefore evening out the gap so it's level with everything else, and then just put a towel over it. The other small thing, is the casters. In the middle the casters from the two cages are right up against each other. It doesn't create too much of a problem with me, since the only time I move the cage is to get behind it some to sweep/clean.

bigfncasters.jpg

Here are some pictures of the final product. I love my cage :D

bigfnclosed.jpg

cageroom.jpg

August1062.jpg

Aug112039.jpg

Aug12013.jpg

Aug112033.jpg

I could never ever get tired of seeing this cage. :love6:

I'm so tempted to do the same. Currently, I have the equivalent of 3 FN142 but broken up into one triple FN, one double FN and a single.
I've got Radar living alone in the single FN for now. I may be looking for an older female for him in the future.
That still leaves me with two double FNs to make this castle of yours.
But what's stopping me is my rats and their colonies. I've got oldies in one cage and young ones in the other. Perhaps once my oldies have left me, I may just do that castle FN.
But in the meantime, I'm going to just keep coming back to this thread. :lol:

Your cage is amazing! It looks so well-fit to the room, my FN hardly fits anywhere in my house. Great job with the cage! If only I had enough room for a second FN... mmm.. lol

WOW!!!!! I am pretty sure that hubby would kick me out. My only question is can you ever give it a thorough scrubdown? I toss my Martins695 in the shower once a week and blast it with the hottest water we have. I guess same question goes for you Jorats. Do you just do thorough spotcleans and replace the fleece alot?

Look at all the pretty colours!! :love6: That is a fantastic cage setup! :love1: I'm curious to know how long does it take to clean this cage top to bottom then replacing all the fabric bottoms, hammocks, ropes and toys. I'm very tempted as well because I have 2 fn's!! :dance:

I have no need for a cage this size. And I don't think I'd want one... but while I was oohing and aahing over these pics.. this conversation happened:

Me: Oooh!

Mike: No.

Me: No?

Mike: No.

Me: No what?

Mike: No giant rat box.

Me: Honey, we don't have the room for a giant rat box.

Mike: You'd find a place.

Me: Maybe when we have our own place.... but probably not. I don't need a giant rat box!

Mike: *gives a face*

Me: If you're going to make me have 7000 cars, you're not telling me how big a cage I can have.

Mike: *groan* (he knows I'm right)

Me: Besides.. now you're making me want one.

Now that that's over... great pics! I love how everything in the room (even the cage fleece and storage buckets) match!

I can't stop giggling over the "giant rat box" comment!

Papercrow - I never really have to do full scrub downs. Not that I even could, considering there's a flight of stairs between my room and the nearest bathroom or the back door to take it outside and spray it down, and well... look at that cage :wink: A little while ago I sprayed the whole cage down with hot water and cleanser, and scrubbed it using a rough bristle brush. I found that there really wasn't anything to scrub. I spot clean a LOT, and never let anything get dirty.

Nic - In all honesty, cleaning the cage takes very, VERY little time, even though it's huge. What takes the most time (and effort) and taking all the hammocks down, and then re-decorating later. All in all, it takes me about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, and that's with a couple breaks and some time spent downstairs doing the rat laundry. That's not counting how much time I spend fussing with the hammocks and other accessories. I always have to get everything just right :p And if you don't use the amount of hammocks I do (it seems to always been 21 or 22), it'd probably take a lot less time!

I do daily clean ups too and the once a week scrub down. I don't do the bathroom, shower cleaning either. I big bucket, a good brush and a scrubbing we will go.
I did my FN 142 and it only took me 40 minutes.

I have actually gone to just doing weekly cleanings with my FN. I don't daily clean since I found with only 5 rats its hardly worth it, I just do a full cleaning on the weekend and it still only takes about 1 hour. The same as it took to clean my Martins.

Tom doesn't like it though because he is my rat-stuff dishwasher. And there is so much more dishwashing to be done each week with all the stuff in this cage. LOL

(Speaking of which has anyone ever put igloos or litter boxes in the regular dishwasher?? I'm debating on trying that.)

OMG i want it! I have 2 girls so i could make a cage like that and fill it with pink things lol they would love it but i wold love it more!! That is absolutely huge and just the best thing i have ever seen lol!

Everytime I look at this I see something new, lol. It's soooo amazing. I hope you don't have to incorporate boys in there ever. ;D

By the way, I have the same curtain rod, lol. And possibly the same curtains. :lol: A sheer violet with a sheen to it.

:new:

but Ive seen your cage on Rat Forum and now I know your secret!! I think it would be somewhat physically painful for me to take a hammer to a $160 cage.... still it looks amazing

...my boyfriend said no... apparently we don't need that for four rats...

Lol! I had no problem doing it whatsoever for some reason. Took all the pieces out, spent about an hour putting it together, then immediately destroyed it. It was fun! :D

Back