Tip on giving meds ..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelipepper

i kno the bane of my rattie and mousie existence is trying *and note,the keyword here is 'trying'* to give them meds .. if youre in a pinch for time thaw out some frozen peas under warm running water in a small strainer and sprinkle their medicine on them .. i have never known a rodent of any sort to turn up their nose to green peas. (dont kno why this is, but im not looking a gift horse in the mouth on this one) Administering via Pea is nice too cause u can thaw a whole bunch, give some to the other cagemates the mousie may have to keep them busy and out of the way (if u have a situation where u dont have to have the sick one quarantined for its condition) and then sneak the laced one to the sick baby. :kisses:

We've always gone with Cool Whip here. It's never let us down. :joy: A little dab of cool whip on a spoon (laced with meds) and ratties come runnin! Our's will even line up at the cage door in anticiaption of their morning and evening "treat". :D

So when you sprinkle the meds on the peas, is it powder or liquid. I would be concerned about them not getting the whole dosage if you just sprinkle the meds on the peas. They wouldn't 'lick' the bowl afterwards.

I put cool whip on the spoon, syringe the meds into the spoon, put dry baby cereal on the meds and mix the cool whip into the meds and baby cereal. I have never had issues with them taking the meds.

Back