Tiny baby compared to sisters?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sleepyvegan

Hi everyone. This is my very first post. I am
A relatively new rat mama, I adopted 3 8 month old girls near the end of September from my local humane society. I have had 2 rather serious health scares with both Cedar and Aspen, all is well now though.
Anyhow the beginning of December I ended up adopting 4 more baby girls, which were about 4-5 weeks old when I adopted them I believe.
The idea was to bond all of my girls together, after the babies 2 week quarantine.
I have not tried bonding yet, as the littlest baby Juniper, has fallen very much behind her sisters in growth. Somehow her sisters have nearly doubled her size. For the past week or so, I have been giving Juniper a head start on feedings, and giving her peanut butter thinned out with apple sauce, and offering her dry food wet and mushed up. She eats, though not very much! and poops and plays with her sisters, yet she is still so tiny.
What should I do for Juniper, aside from her being the tiniest and snuggliest baby, she seems healthy. Should I be concerned about how slow she is growing? Should I be supplementing her diet with something specific? They always have oxbow adult rat available to them, as well as mixed veggies and perhaps rice or grains every evening for dinner.
Should I go ahead and bond all the girls together, the grown ladies and the babies?
Or should I give Juniper a bit more time to catch up to her sisters?
Should I be concerned about Juniper having some sort of health issue?
Thanks so much for any and all advice!

I guess I should give you an idea of how tiny Juniper actually is- today she was 61grams, her biggest sister Willow is actually 160 grams.

I guess I should give you an idea of how tiny Juniper actually is- today she was 61grams, her biggest sister Willow is actually 160 grams.

Hi

Is it possible she is a dwarf rattie? My two dwarf girls come from a litter with standard sized siblings.

Monica

Hi

Is it possible she is a dwarf rattie? My two dwarf girls come from a litter with standard sized siblings.

Monica
I guess this is probable, as I don’t know her full background. Thanks for answering.

pictures?
Is her abdomen swollen? Are her poops normal?
I will get pictures of her tonight. I wouldn’t say her tummy is swollen. She pooped on me after a snuggle yesterday, and they normal but were orange-y, but she had just had sweet potatoes for dinner the night before??
What would a swollen abdomen be a sign of?

DC690B20-19AB-46EC-BE2F-7B90DDF42F55.jpeg
I guess this is probable, as I don’t know her full background. Thanks for answering.

Hi

These are the size of my dwarf ratties at 4 months old. Just for your comparison for size of your baby
I hope she is a dwarf and not sick.
Monica

01B7D6EA-36F0-46A5-8064-EF9526718B37.jpeg 46E0B6AB-717A-4ED7-9D56-C77DC507F6E1.jpeg 950FF76D-65F7-41CF-A710-CD620DED963A.jpeg 838DA254-63BF-4094-B537-E422D18CAC66.jpeg
Here are photos of tiny Juniper. Her tummy doesn’t seem swollen at all but tonight I did notice quite a bit of porphyrin around her nose. You can see it clearly in photo aswell.
I have doxycycline and enroflaxin in the fridge, should I just go ahead and start her on them?
I really wasn’t certain if she was sick at all, but tonight with all the discharge.... have I been missing something??

Juniper and her biggest sister Willow.
Willow is the very biggest of all 4 girls. I know the girls have Rex in them as they all have curly whiskers.
2D2475CF-9679-4320-891F-CFCB6D15B068.jpeg

Back