Tinkerbell - May, 2007 to February 15, 2011

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxchelle

My sweet Tinkerbell... I normally don't write memorials, but I have to for Tink.

I don't even know where to start. I know we all know we will lose our furry friends at some point in time, they're not immortal. But Tink has been such a huge part of my life for the past three and a half years, I'm not sure how to function without her. I never really expected her to die. She made it to such an old age (45 months) that I figured she'd just keep living forever.

[center:1ewds4iu]
DSC_0029.jpg

Sharing ensure with Delete[/center:1ewds4iu]

She was a tiny bullet of a rat. Very slim and fast, she was always on the go. She loved her play times, her boys (Control, Delete, and Atticus), and always took care of her sister Mab. She would gorge on blocks and veggies, and loved every not-so-healthy treat I gave her, but she still never put on any weight. She would always run it off, such a high metabolism.

DSC_9596.jpg
[/center:1ewds4iu]

She was never the most cuddly rat with humans. She always loved to rile up all the boys and then sit back and watch them fight. She was a character, the smallest rat I had but just PACKED with personality. She ruled her cage, and she knew it. Every other rat was at her beck and call, and when they all settled in to go to sleep, she was always in the middle of the rat pile, in the warmest spot.

DSC_6716.jpg

She's in there somewhere![/center:1ewds4iu]

She did eventually start to mellow (though it took about three years) and she became a calmer, kissy rat. I had never gotten a kiss from her until about 4 months ago, and once she started she never stopped. I cherished every second I had with her.

Two nights ago she was happily bouncing around, rushing to and from the food bowl like she always does. Then last night I found her listless and tired, in a corner of her cage. I scooped her up, she was cool to the touch, and was having a bit of trouble breathing. I set up a hospital cage for her, and pulled her sister and best friend Mab out of the cage to keep her company overnight. I gave her a kiss goodnight and wished for her to pass peacefully. I knew that if she was still with us in the morning, I would take her in to be put to sleep. When I woke up this morning to call the vet, she had already passed, cuddled up in fleece with Mab.

I miss you already, Tink. I hope you're at the bridge playing with Atticus and keeping him company, I'm sure he missed you when he went to the bridge. You were always his favorite, despite the spats you two got into. I love you, Tink. :heart:

DSC_8163.jpg
[/center:1ewds4iu]

I'm so sorry for your loss. I saw the post and thought "oh no, she lost Tinkerbell!" I am silent, but do come and peak, and seeing this post just broke my heart. Reading your tribute made it worst - such a beautiful tribute to a beautiful and life-hungry little piece of a rat that looks and acts just like my Lili... You are so lucky you got to enjoy her for 45 months, and even luckier to have her pass quickly, peacefully and painlessly. It is sad and heartbreaking, but it still sounds like a success story to me.

But I do feel your pain. I am still new to rats and haven't had dozens in my life like you have, but I know enough to know that it remains as painful to lose those little furry friends, be it the first or the hundredth, had it suffered or not. :hugs:

:sad3: I'm new to all this, and all the stories of these wonderful ratties are breaking my heart.....

i feel awful for you. Tink was adorable.
:cuddle:

Wow, what a great life for Tinkerbell - how wonderful to have her for such a long time, and happy and healthy right up to the end. We all hope our ratties can live like that! I'm sure it will be a while before you stop looking for her little face in the rat piles...
Rest easy Tink.

Back