this is weird....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RATACHEWY

First there was Marco with a swelling and like a scab on the sole of his foot, i presumed it was due to them fighting and him falling off the shelf, but he started limping so i took him to vets and he got something there. Then a while later Gerrard got it too, but his went away. Now all 3 including bandit, have it, and whats weird is its on the same foot?! Non are limping at the moment. They fight alot as one of them has turned nasty, but doubt its that, and i have a chipmunk/chinchilla cage with wire on floor, i thought they might be getting feet caught in the mesh? i have no idea, i dont want it re-occuring id like to find what on earth is causing it? any help appreciated.x :?

SEPT07011.jpg

SEPT07005.jpg

its so wierd they all have it on the same foot?!

it may well be bumble foot, it comes and goes, and rarley they limp.

To my knowledge looks like bumblefoot! I've never had to deal with it personally but a friend of mine had a rat that had bumblefoot and she used to apply bluekote (sp?) to it as per her vet. Took a while but it did help.

I think it also helps if you have diferent types of surfaces in their cage.

i thought about a new cage, after buying, i decided it said chipmunk cage for a reason, it cant be comfy for them on the wire bottom, it has wood shelves, but i dont like them either, im not sure wood shelves go with rats, cant take out to clean. It cost me £90 mind, so id rather not do it if it would be much benefit for them. If i did get a new cage, would the wooden cat litter be ok to walk on with bumlefoot do you think? ;-)

That is definitely bumblefoot.

Wires are not the culprit but at this point they need a soft floor, so I would recommend having them on fleece or some other type of cloth just so it's not so hard on those big lesions.
Also, Bactrim would be a good med to start them on. But they will need a vet visit and a prescription.

Wow now I know what to look for. Now in that pic it looks like a pimple with white in it, or is that just the scab??

HA, glad im not the only one who likes to pick things haha. But i had a little press on it too see if there was puss in it, and i dont think so, its a hard yellow scab, so i guess it would bleed if damaged or polked at. Ill shove a towel in tonight for them o stand on. Thanks.x

It's best not to allow the bumble to break. You don't want more bacteria getting in there.
Right now, it's important that you keep the cage extra clean and padded too.

Yea, as everyone else has said it looks like bumblefoot. You can find treatment ideas Here on Ratguide. If all of the rats are related, bumblefoot can be caused by a genetic predisposition. You'll want to keep the cage very clean, and change their bedding often, to help stop any further irritation.

Bumblefoot can be caused by genetics, dirty floors, scratchy surfaces, and fat rats, or any combination thereof. It can be very difficult to get rid of, and you have to keep with the treatment for some time in alot of cases.

Hey Ratachewy (LOL.. a take off on Ratatouille?)

I am extremely careful with the issue of bumblefoot. My 2 little dudes are housed in a Martin's Cage - rat skyscraper with 3 ramps to their 3 stories.

Each and every ramp is covered with a wide towel strip secured to the walls with sheet strips. I measured the ramps and then cut the towel strips according to the measurements. I was going to use shoelaces to secure them but decided that I had so many sheet strips that it would be stupid to buy shoelaces.

I then cut holes into the towel strips, ran the sheet strips through the holes and then secured them.

The floors of the 3 levels are covered with PVC, self adhesive, tiles. The tiles make it easy to clean the cage because you can run a sponge over it. I usually mix dish washing liquid with a little vinegar and hot water and then rinse with clear, warm, water.

I remove the towel strips, as needed, and wash them with the "rat laundry" in HOT water!

Am I anal? You bet! But my little guys don't seem to mind. :)

I hope I haven't put you to sleep. :D!!!

Back