This is the last straw...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tory

I don't know what to do at this point, this is the 4th time Maxine has gotten hurt incase you don't remember the first time http://www.jorats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10573&st=0&sk=t&sd=a I am at my wits end, I know it's Helga but if I seperate Helga from the group she will have noone and I don't have another cage for her to live in. I can't put Abby or Eleanor in the cage with Helga because Eleanor and Abby are blood sisters and get along famously. I've looked for another cage on craigslist and kijiji and my results are futile with things comming up as $75++.... What do I do?!

My only thought is to take Maxine out and find her a "nicer" friend. You can't keep putting her in with the other girls if just just keeps getting beat up.

I know, I am not destined to have that happy rat family I wanted, I have nowhere to go with them, I have a travel cage that is much to small... they just do not like each other.. I dont know what to do!

have you looked at dog crates for a caging alternative? they can normally be found cheaper, even at yard sales for $10. it will take extra effort to mesh the metal ones, but they do make adequate cages for a small family of rats if modded carefully (adding levels and such). this will give you another cage in which you can either take helga or abby out of the current set and get another girl or neutered male to keep the one you remove company.

this is assuming that separating them is what you absolutely want to do. perhaps slower introductions or bath or a car ride together will get helga over her nasty stint with abby. sometimes they just have to experience something a little bit outside their comfort zone together in order for them to get over each other and get along.

Have you tried to spay her? It's not like a neuter for aggression but my girl did mellow out after her spay. How old are they?

As far as I know they have never had anything wrong with them, They have never done anything weird and the doctor didn't notice anything. Helga has just recently gotten a tumor but she didn't have it when she first attacked Maxine.

The tumor might have been growing inside her causing pain before it grew out. Where is it? Is it operable? How long did you have all the girls together?

It's in her armpit and it's operable I'm just putting together the funds to be able to get it removed. I've had all my girls together for about 7 months.

Were your intros done gradually over a period of time and did you follow all the steps?
You could retry gradual intros, or get another girl and have two groups.

Back