Third tumour removal surgery for Momo?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandon

Hey guys, it's me again. So this is a question I asked before but I'd love some input.

So back in october I got Momo a second tumour removal surgery because one of her lumps had an open sore that had engulfed practically the whole thing and she came out of it just fine - but in the last few months what was initially just a small-ish lump near the one the vet remove has become very, very large. It starts from her side and kind of overlaps her back leg so it makes it harder for her to walk and I have a feeling it's just going to keep getting worse. I know that another one will probably just pop up if I have this one removed and it's getting pretty expensive but Momo's health hasn't made any noticeable drops and I can find the money if push comes to shove. I'm just worried about the chances of Momo surviving a third surgery. She's almost two and everything, but on the flip side this tumour needs to go.

Thoughts?

How safe the surgery will be for her depends on her health since it sounds like you have a good vet.
You might also consider how she recovered from the last surgery, did she health well and bounce back ok?
It sound like pretty invasive from what you have described.
Is it a mammary tumour?
If it is a mammary tumor, just under the skin then surgery will be less invasive and easier for her.
What does your vet think?

It sounds like it is growing quite aggressively and imo, you are right that it will just keep growing and have a big impact on her quality of life,
so if you are going to have it removed you will want to do it soon.

How safe the surgery will be for her depends on her health since it sounds like you have a good vet.
You might also consider how she recovered from the last surgery, did she health well and bounce back ok?
Is it a mammary tumour?
If it is a mammary tumor, just under the skin then surgery will be less invasive and easier for her.

It sounds like it is growing quite aggressively and imo, you are right that it will just keep growing and have a big impact on her quality of life,

On both surgeries she has bounced back wonderfully. It's a malignant mammary tumour and thus more "connected" rather than simply being under the skin.. it's hard to describe.

I haven't spoken with my vet yet but since Momo is in good health and the tumour is aggressively growing - I think the only real course of action is to have it removed.

Is it a mammary tumour?

Oh also, I felt another tumor near it that feels far more connected than any of the others. Like, it feels like it's growing out of a muscle or organ or something. Can this still be removed like any other? So many things are worrying me. I guess in the short term the vet can just remove the big one that's posing a problem but would it be preferable to remove all the tumours she currently has another doesn't take it's place too quickly and grow out of control? It only took two months for this tiny little tumour to become almost the size of a half walnut - but I feel like the vet would be too worried about the risk of removing all of them. At least he said something similar the last time I took her in for the second surgery. I don't remember the specific details of his concerns though

Was she spayed? That's very unfortunate that she gets all those tumours. Your vet will be the best to decide if it's safe or not. Did your vet say if these were benign mammary tumour or a malignancy? For mine, if it's malignant and recurring, I don't have them removed.

Was she spayed? That's very unfortunate that she gets all those tumours. Your vet will be the best to decide if it's safe or not. Did your vet say if these were benign mammary tumour or a malignancy? For mine, if it's malignant and recurring, I don't have them removed.

They're definitely malignant. Asymmetrical, rock hard and fast growing. She has one benign tumour near her arm that's kind of squishy so I can make a good comparison at least.

Unfortunately I could never afford to spay her. I don't have a lot of money and getting these surgeries alone is incredibly difficult, but I manage. The only reason I want to remove this specific tumour is because it's invasive and interfering with her ability to walk and it's really just going to get worse from here.

Back