Thinking of switching to Bass pans

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyRayeRats

I have had my double CN for several months now and I am seriously considering getting bass pans for the following reasons:

1) Since I have expanded from 4 to 7 rats, it seems they have become more destructive with their liners (they leave the shelf liners alone, but the big liners get destroyed). I've gotten to the point where I just tuck fleece around the pans because they will rip and chew it up anyway, it's not worth sewing or ordering liners anymore.

2) Stray poo EVERYWHERE. They are pretty good about peeing in their litter boxes, but they fling their poo everywere (I know my dogs love it, but it's getting ridiculous)

3) Ease of cleaning. As much as I like the whole "green" aspect of liners, it's just not working out. The existing CN pans are starting to get chewed on as well as full of poo and litter.

4) I am pregnant and I know that towards the end of my pregnancy and baby's first few weeks, I am not going to be in a position to be hunching and stooping to clean the cage. I think it will be easier for my husband to dump pans, clean them and fill them with bedding rather than mess with liners.

Does anyone who has the bass pans have any helpful hints for me? Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

I dont have base pan, but I recently switched to bedding. I have aspen now but I am going to go to something care fresh like. With more rats in one cage I find it a lot easier. it helps contain messes. Liners were kicking my butt and it was not fun.

I know some have some awesome base pans. Which I will order once i figure out if i will in fact stay with bedding.

make sure you have a good vacuum though LOL it is a life saver.

And one more reason I need sturdy pans

downsized_0817011156.jpg

I have the Canadian version of the bass pans from Flower Town Chinchillas
http://www.chinchilla.ca/items.php?Prod ... urce=acces

I REALLY like them and they are pre-painted a nice blue-grey colour. The paint is done really well so there doesn't appear to be any flaking or chipping or anything.

My only problem with them is that a) no pretty colours :( LOL and b) I am still using YN and it makes the pans heavy and awkward for me to dump out but I am sure a lighter bedding would remedy that for me! I just keep being stupid and forgetting to change to something else. If hubby is going to be doing the dumping for you, that is excellent! LOL

So yeah, the only downside for me has been that the cages are less pretty. But I can still use hammocks and toys to make things colourful and add to the pretty factor. So I guess my advice is to go for it!

Anyone in the US able to get these pans all pre-painted and good to go? I really don't want to have to paint the galvanized ones that can be ordered directly from bass and I am not sure how much shipping would be from FTC to me.

Back