Think about getting a Martins...what cage should I get?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruxxy

I've decided I'm going to move my group of 3 girls into a new martins cage. Right now they are in the top level of a spilt FN and the alpha doesn't seem to be very happy with the other ratties living below her. Infact it cause alot of tension in the cage.

So I want to get the Martins but I'm not sure what model to buy. I want one that has enough space for 3 females to live comfortably...with maybe a bit of extra room cuz I believe ratties should have lots of space in their cage.

Any suggestions as far as what cage I should buy? I've never had a Martins before.

I was just looking at some of the martins cages and I really like the R-695. I think I would be perfect size for 3 girls. The only thing I don't like is the small doors. Do you think they would be willing to customize the cage for me? perhaps make the doors bigger or something? What other types of modifications can they do to the cage? Does it cost alot more?

I remember asking about enlarging door sizes before, and it was not much extra :) Let me dig up the e-mail I got, I'm sure the quotes are similar to what you would be looking for. I have an R-695 and love it! (Well, so does Sparrow too, lol).

ETA: Found the quote I got a while back and they were only charging $5 per door enlargement. No idea if it is still the same, but it shouldn't cost much.

I have a martins R-695 and I think it is a great cage. Especially for three girls. Get the flip top and bigger doors ( I think I read tat they make the doors bigger now but I'm not sure).........

Jorats had a lot of custom cages built from Martin's. I don't think she had much trouble getting what she wanted at all. I used to have the R-695 and it was great. I agree though, definitely get the flip-top lid on it. It's so much easier to clean that way. Also make sure you specify powder-coating or you will end up with nasty galvanized and it will get smelly.

I have two R695 cages.One has three larger girls in it and the other has 4 smaller females. I must agree that I like the flip top as well. I have large doors on both of ours. I believe one of these came from Jo.

Ann

Thank you everyone for you input. I always helps to hear what other people have to say about it...especially since its quite a large expense. I love the fact that the bar space is really narrow too so its a great cage for babies.

I've decided I'm going to go with this cage, with the flip top and large doors. I'm sure my 3 girls will be much happier living in there. And now I will be able to use the FN for my other group of 3 as well as the ratties I'm rescuing from Clark's. :D

So how long does shipping usually take anyways??

I have a martins cage with extra large doors and a pull out tray.
I love those two features.
The extra large doors are big enough to put a 12 in wheel into the cage.

The R695 is a great cage.

Back