Things that suck. Seizures.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DadRat

Wow, it's awful watching a rat have a seizure. Or several in a row.

Backstory: week or 2 ago Dimo (guesstimate of 21 months) was super lethargic for a day or two. Then started behaving mostly normal again. We suspected a potential mini stroke but he seemed back to 80% or so of normal once he got food and water in him again.

Last week he had a single observed seizure of the just freezing up and staring off into distance then being real disoriented type. 2 days ago he had a fall over and shake type. Last night he had 4-5 grand mal type (standing up waving arms, teeth chattering, shaking) over about 2 hours and then was real lethargic.

Taking Dimo to the vet today to get Prednisone and Baytril/Doxycycline and go from there if he responds. Wish we had a good rat vet here but we know more about the fuzzballs than any vet around here does.

He needs to be on a maintenance dose of phenobarbital and you need some diazepam on hand if he is have repeated, uncontrollable convulsions.

Oh no, it must be so hard to watch that happen. I know a lady, her baby rat goes into massive seizures, multiple times a day..finally they found the right dose of phenobarbital and the baby who is not so baby anymore is doing so much better.

Lilspaz68 has quite a bit of experience with rats who have seizures and can likely give you some info. and suggestions.

I know that CBD oil is helping a lot of people who have seizures so might be something to check into as well in case it would help, as to my knowledge it has fewer side effects.

Back