There may be some girls in my future

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenshae

Awhile back I joined the "Animal Advocates & Friends" group here in town and get emails daily about various animals in need and whatnot. Most of the time it's shelter dogs and cats that need fosters or medical care, or sometimes it's lost dogs or protests or whatever. Anyway, I'm *the* "rat lady" in town, and everybody at all the shelters, vet offices, and everywhere else knows it. But down here isn't like a lot of places, rescue ratties are few and far between although they always seem to show up when I need them...

Still, I was caught by surprise when this was in my inbox:
Wants to rehome two Dumbo rats, 1+ year old, both female. Owner unable to
have dog or cat and tried pet rats as only pets possible in her living
situation. Has determined that she and the rats are species incompatible.
Would like to give them to someone who finds pet rats ideal companion
animals. ((contact info))

I emailed her to get some more details. Is there an age limit for doing a spay? I need to talk to my vet to be sure she's comfortable doing one, and get an idea of how much it would cost me and if this would be do-able. They're very cute, both black berks. So, I guess we'll see what happens....

Well, I emailed the lady and got some details. They're about 18 months old and from Petsmart originally (thought as much -- they look like the rats at my local Petsmart lol) and apparently very skittish which is why she isn't "compatible" with them. :eyeroll:

But! She's willing to send them to me with their current cage and all accessories so they have a place to chill until I can get them spayed and whatnot and my old roomie said it'd be OK to have them stay at her place if I needed to.

Still, my boyfriend made some good points last night about whether we should bring in any new ratties until the dog's vet bills are taken care of and the cage is appropriately netted against escapees....But he said we could discuss it. He's a pushover though and is always very easy to persuade. :nod:

Next step is to talk to the vet and see how she feels about spays and the cost.....

Le sigh...discussed everything about twenty times with my boyfriend and I begrudgingly admit he's right -- we can't afford spays right now. Maybe once the dog is out of the woods with his dental work, but definitely not before then. :(

I'll still be asking around to every rat-owner I know in town for this lady, but it sucks not to be able to help all the time....

Back