"The Story of Stuff"- A short film about consumption

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruxxy

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=th ... tesearch=#

Please take a few minutes out of your day to watch this short film.

From its extraction through sale, use and disposal, all the stuff in our lives affects communities at home and abroad, yet most of this is hidden from view. The Story of Stuff is a 20-minute, fast-paced, easy to follow, fact-filled look at the underside of our production and consumption patterns. The Story of Stuff exposes the connections between a huge number of environmental and social issues, and calls us together to create a more sustainable and just world. It'll teach you something and it just may change the way you look at all the stuff in your life forever.

REDUCE! REUSE! RECYCLE!
Together we can make a difference :thumbup:

This was posted before but it's a good thing to remind us again. It really is scary how much stuff we buy and most of the time we don't even need it. I try as much as I can to recycle.

I work at a landfill site and it would make you cry to see how much our Canadian society wastes! And I'll let you in on a secret. At all levels of government there is a lot of talking and posturing about how they care about the environment and waste reduction but in reality they don't give a "rats" ass!! The front line workers at my facilities have tried many, many times over the years to reduce the material going into the landfill but management/politicians refuse to consider any of them. We are told to shut up and do our job and that we are not entitled to have anything to say about what goes on. (After all, we are just the dirty, uneducated blue collar workers who make their problem go away.) I have been told more than once that if I'm concerned about what goes on at the landfills I'm in the wrong line of work!!

99% of what we purchase in a six month period goes into the garbage. HOLY CRAP!
This...is...freakin'...BRILLIANT!
Why haven't I seen this before? Where have I been? I am not very good at contributing to that big yellow arrow, I'm afraid.
Boy, we're a scourge.

It is a great vid. Just remember to take everything with a grain of salt people. I remember not agreeing with everything she said. Most, but not all, anyway. I should rewatch it though. My thinking has probably changed since.

I think the #1 thing that has to change is how the stupid crap we buy is packaged.

Back