The small, the normal, the fat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little_Vixen

What do you think are average weights for male rats?

I have Beau at 325 weighed yesterday. They are all getting weighed tonight.

Last week Beau weighed in at I think 615 or 625 grams. He is a chunker. And he's mostly restricted on his diet due to this, but I think he may just be a big big boy.

Leon and Zorro are just 10 or 20 grams shy of their dad Beau. But all three are younger boys still, 5 months and younger.

Flux is about 11 months.

What is your take on their weights? The young'ns are on Oxbow Mouse and Young Rat. Flux is on Oxbow Adult Rat.

This is supplemented with veggies and occasional fruits. Usually peas or can corn. Sometimes seedless grapes, cucumber or similar.

----------Weights 12/1/14------------
Flux: 612g
Beau: 304g
Leon: 273g
Zorro: 292g

Last edited:
We have 17 boys - all get fed the same. They weigh between 400-600 and then there is Peanut who just weighed in at 1140.

It sounds like all of yours are on a good diet (although I am not sure what the overall forum opinion is on the oxbow young mouse and rat feed). As long as they all get adequate time outside the cage for exercise and stay on a good diet like that, the only issues you might end up with as far as overweight rats would likely be due to genetics.

All of my boys, all between 1 - 2.5 years of age, weigh between 550 - 850g. My girl weighs somewhere around 525g.

My rats all get Oxbow and veggies and occasional fruits. Some have stayed trim and fit, others have become little squishes. I give any of my sick rats or very old ones pretty much whatever they want, within means (nothing extremely unhealthy, but whatever it takes to keep some weight on them).

My opinion on the young rat oxbow ia that its too high in protein. Since we lost Finn to kidney disease we watch protein pretty closely.

I should of named Peanut - Coconut od Watermelon. I definitely do a tail count just to make sure he hasn't eaten one of the other boys.

My opinion on the young rat oxbow ia that its too high in protein. Since we lost Finn to kidney disease we watch protein pretty closely.

I should of named Peanut - Coconut od Watermelon. I definitely do a tail count just to make sure he hasn't eaten one of the other boys.

I vaguely recall trying that stuff when I had little ones; we quit using it because it made their poops gross, for some reason.

Oh Peanut...Is there a version of this emoticon somewhere where it's eating another rat? Or a rat eating a cake? :eatcake:

I agree with DSPCH911 - gross poop! I didn't use it very long!

As for tail counts... :laugh4:

I'm only using it for this bag and possibly one more. They weren't getting enough proteins and anything with the lovely woman who owns their mother because she just had them on the adult food. Then they will be switching. I've had no issues with smells or anything from the young food though o_o

Flux is... big. Like... bodily. I have small hands, sure, but I can't fit my hand around him even to dangle him (He doesn't mind at all, it's kinda funny) anymore. O_O I'm afraid of where he might end up topping out at. He loves people and food. Doesn't really like other rats, but he reaaaaaally likes food.

I wouldn't bother with the Oxbow for young rats. They don't need it at all.

Your boys sound fine. I would try to keep Flux not going any higher than what he is if that possible.

I have limited Flux to just food and veggies and he still gains weight T_T I don't know what to do with him. He's the proverbial fat kid loves cake type rat.

Back