The Simpsons

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

So I have to give a 20 minuite presentation on the Simpsons and how they relate to american culture and the social impact. It's for my Oral Presentations and Media Studies course, so free reign on what I want to talk about plus showing clips.

I was wondering if any fans out there have favorite episodes or scenes they wanted to share? I've seen just about every episode, some many times (it plays like 4 times a day on tv).
Also what do you like best about the show? What do you like least? is there a character you relate to?

I want to get a bit of a broader idea about peoples impressions, rather than just my view point incase I'm missing something. I have a couple of books out as well, its a popular topic!

Thanks!!

I'm not a big Simpsons fan or watcher, but there are two things I have noted from the show. Firstly, Homer, normal everyday somewhat less intellegent father ends up doing the most amazing stuff. Second thing I noticed is that the first few minutes have NOTHING to do with the rest of the show.

The Simpson's is one of the shows that I didn't allow my boys to watch it while growing up. I find that Bart and the kids are very rude and disrespectful of their parents. At first when my boys were watching it, I noticed my boys talking like Bart and being very rude. So besides that, I really can't say much since I've never really watched it.

I grew up watching the Simpsons and I love the show. It's definitely not as funny as it used to be, but it still has its moments.

I never understood the controversy surrounding the Simpsons when it first aired. Some people claimed the show set a bad example for kids, but compared to what's on television today, the Simpsons is and always was tame by comparison. It seems to me that people who criticize the show miss much of what is actually positive and even wholesome about it: The Simpsons are a loving family who stick together against all odds, they've tackled many social issues like gay marriage, prejudice and gender stereotypes, they attend church regularly (some people consider that a good thing :wink: ), and they never take themselves too seriously. Situations are obviously exaggerated in the show, but people can still identify with the Simpsons and relate to the emotions of the characters.

The Simpsons remains popular even now in its 19[super:zoeyrl23]th[/super:zoeyrl23] season and that's because it's an intelligent and often thought provoking testament to our time!

I love Simpsons - I really really love Simpsons!

Well I'm from Denmark, Europe..
Many europeans see the american people like the Simpsons..
We judge and think all americans are stupid..
(Sorry if I step on anyone - I know all americans aren't stupid.. don't worry)

Our contries are so far away from eachother - but so alike.
The stuff we see in Denmark are clips of Bush making an as* of himself - and Homer Jay Simpson making and as* of himself.
- get the picture?

So many you could bring up what other parts of the world think of american culture and the american people because we have Simpson eventhough Denmark is so far away!
Just an idea :thumbup:

I love the Simpsons. My mom was like Jo and wouldn't let us watch us but we would watch it with Dad every Sunday (this is when they were married), I understood where my Mom was coming from so now when me and my sister watch South Park we kick my brother (whose 11) out. But everyone watches the simpsons now (except for my mom still) I love half of the episodes but my faves would have to be when Homer goes without TV and Beer, when Mr. Burns tries to make a coat out of all the Grey pups, when Bart is baby stink breath, the one with Sexy Flanders and the Movie (oh Spider-Pig :heart: ). It's actually in it's 20th season which makes it the longest running cartoon/sitcom of all time!!!

A couple of years ago we had a youth program at our church that was based on The Simpsons. The show is considered to be one of the most theological shows on the air. Every single episode has some sort of reference to God and/or faith. Sometimes even the simplest ones aren't picked up on.

For instance, did you know that in the episodes were you see "God" or the hand of God that the hands always have 4 fingers and a thumb, whereas the rest of the characters all only have 3 fingers?

There are books and program outlines available for this. It's called "The Gospel According to Homer Simpson". You sit and watch an episode and then sit and discuss the different theological aspects of it. It's actually amazing to see how much hidden meaning those shows really have.

Just something else to think about...

My favourite character is Ralph - "My cat's breath smells like cat food!". :) He is just so wonderfully pure.

I love so much about this show - but the main thing is that it is so inclusive of everything; it comes across sometimes as extremely liberal, but then as Lindsay mentioned it also is not at all "anti-religion", I would say that if anything it's pro-religion (I am an atheist and it takes nothing away from the show for me). I had heard that about the 4 fingers on God vs 3 fingers on characters, so interesting!!

Two of my top fave episodes are the ones where Lisa meets Paul and Linda McCartney and where Homer is friends with a gay man (although Homer doesn't realize he's gay at first). There are so many to choose from though!! The one where little Ralph's heart breaks - you can see the exact moment! - the one where Homer trips out on chili, the one where Bart moons Australia...

I have a book that is a very in depth guide to the first 6 seasons of the show. I'll pull that out now.

I was THE Simpsons fan, once upon a time. I found few to top me when I was at my height, and I know all the words to most of the songs. How about a rendition of "See My Vest"?? No? Moving on.

I had an interesting relationship with The Simpsons when I was younger. My mother detested my watching the show. But it was never officially off limits as my dad put his foot down over it. I was properly forbidden from watching Animaniacs and The Flintstones, mind you.

I never really understood the problem with me watching it. And I see now what the problem was. The things she was worried about me being influenced by, I didn't notice at all. The show was funny on a completely different level when I was little. As I got older, the old laughs go pushed aside for the jokes that I had to grow into. My mom never understood this. One particular example has always stuck with me when I make this point.

Take Treehouse of Horror IV. This included Bart Simpson's Dracula. When I was little, a line from this particular episode, became simply the funniest thing I had ever heard... I walked around for weeks afterwards, bursting into fits of laughter at the slightest memory of it. The line? "Super fun happy slide!" (with additional arm movements a la Homer Simpson).

Although I still find this entertaining when I see it, I no longer nearly urinate myself over just the thought of it. The jokes that didn't even tickle my funny radar before now make much more sense and are probably the ones my mom was worried about corrupting me.

I think it needs to be said, though. The show really "Jumped the Shark", as it were, some time around the 10th season. The Hallowe'en specials still remain a yearly attraction, though.

So are any of the episodes particularly special to me? Of course.

The first "real" Episode, Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire, is wonderful. The family gets Santa's Little Helper! This one was always particularly great for me as I grew up with greyhounds, and how often do you see them in the media other than in greyhound bus commercials? (It needs to be said that I didn't grow up in an area where there was dog racing so that makes a big difference, of course) The fact that my favourite family had my breed of dog was a special thing for, especially being the child that I was.... dog obsessed.

The second one, Bart the Genius, will forever be a classic. Bart calls Homer a Kwyjibo, cheats his way into a school for genius children and then dyes himself green? Hilarity all around.

Then you get Moaning Lisa, where Lisa meets Bleeding Gums Murphy. He was probably one of my favourite characters throughout the entire series, even though he was usually just a cameo in the background. Lisa was the Simpson I related to the most. Not necessarily my favourite in the family, but the one most like me. Overachieving book worm who loved animals? You got it. The one thing she had on me was musical talent.

Anyway, I could keep prattling on about my favourites, but those three are all just from the first season, so that says something. There are tons of greats.... Homer being on the company baseball team, with all the pro-players they bribed to come and "work"... the power plant being bought out by Germans... or perhaps one of history's best, where Milhouse and Bart buy an all syrup super-squishee and spend the entire night on a sugar bender, with Bart waking up as a member of the Junior Campers. "Mmm, floor pie"............

I love the Simpsons! What everyone else said but also... the earlier episode had more "family values" and such. There was always such a big focus on having a happy family, it's still in the newer ones, but can be more ridiculous. I don't have a favorite Simpsons. Too many to choose from!

I just thought of this one:Think of Snowball II, SCarthcy and Snowball III, waht do they al have in common...They give Black cats a good name! The show is full of little things that make most animal lovers happy. In a world where Black cats are feared it's nice for them to have some nice publicity.

Have you seen the episode where they go to the barn, and Lisa shears a sheep, only to find a little rat under all the fluff. That rat is amazing! Also, according to Ralph, the rat symbolizes obviousness! I love how the Simpsons isn't half as racist or provokitive as most cartoons...

Well I survived my presentation, no idea how I did though as this teacher is insane! Last year I had her for an english course and she took huge amounts of marks off from grammer. She was marking it like it was a university editing course... seriously my mom looked at it and said it was like the class she took at ryrson!
But like I said i survived and its over. im awful at speaking infront of people but it was compulsory. I did learn some interesting things about the Simpsons creator... did you know he came up with the idea 15 mins before he pitched it to James L Brooks? He named everyone after his family... his grandpa is Abram, his dad is Homer, his mom is Maragret Wiggum, his sisters Lisa and Maggie. I guess that makes him Bart which he chose as an anagram to brat :p
Unfortunatly the classroom I was in didn't get internet so a bunch of youtube clips I had picked out couldn't be seen, but I know them all so well I could describe it in detail :p

Back