The screechers

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lj

Has anyone had screamers before?

I briefly described before what is happening. I had the new babies in the bottom of a cage similar to an r695 and Neville in the top. He's a sweet man. Anyways, Neville was able to detach the wood that I had placed there and made his way down to the basement where the babies were. The babies started screaming at the top of their lungs. Neville didn't even touch them.

Anyways, I moved the babies to another cage, a smaller one for the time being because I thought that maybe the stress of the trip was freaking them out. I set the cage as far as I could from others, but again, the screaming begins. It's not just one of them, but both. Poorlittle guys. It's kind of freaking me out because I've only had one screamer before but that was because he was getting beat up. I know that rats will scream if they are under stress or afraid, but geeze. They're loud.

BTW Twitch. I think I'm going to name them Squeek and Screech. LOL

Anyone know what else I can try? I think I might have to seperate them and have them totally away from any rats.

They should be ok after they have have time to adjust after all the changes they have been through.
Then, as I'm sure you know, any intros should be gradual with cages near one another, then neutral intros, etc.
Pretty understandable that they would be terrified of a big strange rat invading their space ... especially after everything they have been through.
When dividing a cage into two, I cable tie a wire grid over the top of the hole and cable tie another wire grid under the hole. I use ramps and cookie cooling racks. Then I lay a soild floor (such as a sheet of linolum) over the floor (the floor that has the two grids cable tied onto it). No rat has ever gotten through that ... yet.
Hope this helps.

I too have a Screamer. Tobelerone gets beat up by jeramy and poor Tobe screams like a girl!! I held them both alot but finally bathed them both and it is ALOT better. I now have all 14 girls and boys together after the girls were spayed and they LOVE it. Right now Jeramy is roaming free ( he gets more perks because he's the oldest at 19 months). "MeeMee" is asleep on top of the rat carrier thats stored under the cage. He's so cute. Try this see if it helps but be patient and I am sure the rattakisses will soon stop screaming.
Jeramy catching a "rat nap"

Back