The Quick Question Thread

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know rats mainly come in two colors or one ... one of my boys is black and white with a large rust color patch on his behind.... Is this normal?

Its buck grease most likely...Its their man smell oil coming out. Use unscented baby wipes on hin a few times a week while he's hanging around it'll help.

Thank u sterling rats! This is a picture of what I'm talking about

he4y2a4e.jpg

uny5agaj.jpg

That could just be some cinnamon hair. Tyrion & Odin have that in their brown fur. Like highlights. ..not sure its "normal" but doesn't bother him. Tyrion has that "buck grease rust on his white back. This is the best pic I could find off hand of both of them.

4e7y5ana.jpg

What's the difference between a siamese and a himalayan? I googled some pictures but I can barely see the difference.

The standard for the siamese is NFRS standard: Body colour to medium beige, gradually and evenly shaded over saddle and hindquarters towards the belly, being darkest at the base of the tail. There should be no white or very pale areas anywhere on the body, feet or tail. Tail colour to extend down the length of the tail. Belly to be light beige. Points to be rich dark sepia and shade evenly into the body colour. Eyes black or ruby.

The standard for himalayan is NFRS Standard: Body colour to be white, free from stains and even throughout, with points a rich dark sepia. Eyes red or black. Note – Colour areas: 1. face – not to extend upwards from eyes. 2. ears – not to extend downwards from the base. 3. forelegs – not to extend upwards beyond the elbows. 4. hind legs – not to extend upwards beyond the ankle. 5. tail – not to extend beyond the tail root. 6. feet – to be solid colour throughout, devoid of any white.

So the himalayan is lighter than the siamese or should be anyway. Their genetics are different.\

The siamese is two copies of the himalayan gene. The first himalayans were one of the himalayan copy and one albino gene but now they're more likely to be siamese selectively bred for a whiter body colour.

The standard for the siamese is NFRS standard: Body colour to medium beige, gradually and evenly shaded over saddle and hindquarters towards the belly, being darkest at the base of the tail. There should be no white or very pale areas anywhere on the body, feet or tail. Tail colour to extend down the length of the tail. Belly to be light beige. Points to be rich dark sepia and shade evenly into the body colour. Eyes black or ruby.

The standard for himalayan is NFRS Standard: Body colour to be white, free from stains and even throughout, with points a rich dark sepia. Eyes red or black. Note

How much Dye-free Children's Advil would you give a 600g rat? I'm out of metacam and poor Zephye is still doing owie stretches :c

Back