The Poptart Tragedy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Egads, that stuff makes me cringe! I actually use proper spelling and punctuation whenever I text. I find though that the Internet contributes to poor grammar and poor spelling. When you read published books, you subconsciously take in the spelling and grammar, which helps you recognize when it's incorrect. If you are continually exposed to INcorrect spellling, etc., then you start to lose the ability to easily pick up mistakes, and start second-guessing things. Although I use Google a LOT to check spelling and phrases...
If I get a resume from someone who can't spell or use grammar properly, it gets tossed. If you don't care enough to take the time to make sure something like that is done correctly, then what does that say about your work ethic?

Kids are not taught this kind of "shortcut" spelling in school. They can choose to learn the language properly, or they can cop the "Entitlement - I have a right to spell any way I want to" attitude and later wonder why they can't find a job that pays well.

I have had to take placement tests with every U.S. job I have held... including temp jobs. I have been hired while others, who were better qualified in other areas, were not due to their inability to write and spell properly.

They can use their shortcuts.... but it will eventually catch up with them. It's just how it works.

Back