The New Oxbow Regal Rat Formula - NEW REVIEW!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I ordered a bag of the new formula Friday, it should be arriving tomorrow, I'll keep you updated on how the kiddos likes it.

The Old Formula

Whole Brown Rice, Oat Groats, Wheat Bran, Wheat, Soybean Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Soybean Hulls, Monocalcium Phosphate, Flax Seed Meal, (Linseed), Brewers Yeast, Calcium Carbonate, Wheat Germ Meal, Methionine DL, Salt, Yeast Culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (tocopherol), Vitamin C Supplement (Ascorbic Acid), Colloidal Silica, Riboflavin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Pyrodoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Magnesium Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Calcium Iodate, Potassium Chloride, Natural Flavorings

Guaranteed Analysis

* Crude Protein min 14.00%
* Crude Fat min 4.00%
* Crude Fiber max 10.00%

The New Formula

Ingredients
Whole Brown Rice, Oat Groats, Wheat Bran, Wheat, Soybean Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Soybean Hulls, Calcium Carbonate, Yeast Culture Dehydrated, Flax Seed Meal (Linseed), Inulin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Soy Oil, Methionine DL, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Wheat Germ Meal, Salt, Magnesium Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Natural Flavor, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Cobalt Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K Activity), Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement

Guaranteed Analysis
•Crude Protein (min) 15.00%
•Crude Fat (min) 4.00%
•Crude Fiber (max) 7.00%
•Moisture (max) 10.00%
•Calcium (min) 0.80%
•Calcium (max) 1.20%
•Phosphorous (min) 0.80%

The protein went from 14% to 15% ..and the fiber from 10% to 7%

I'm curious to know how other rats like this stuff, has any one tried it ..how did the rats respond?

Mine have been getting it for half a day. They eat it, no more but no less than before. My rats have always eaten their Oxbow though.
It has a fishy smell to it... I think, definitely not apples.
Lower fiber is just fine... but higher protein sucks. Still, good product.

jorats said:
Mine have been getting it for half a day. They eat it, no more but no less than before. My rats have always eaten their Oxbow though.

Would you think that Oxbow is comparable to Harlan?
AND is one price higher than the other and more easier to find and buy?
Just curious. :)

jorats said:

Fibre slows down how quickly the body digests food and burns through calories, so I would think that would lead to rats eating more of the new formula. That may not be a bad thing since a lot of rats got really skinny on Oxbow, but it's something to keep in mind.

Sharlees rattakisses said:
Would you think that Oxbow is comparable to Harlan?
AND is one price higher than the other and more easier to find and buy?
Just curious. :)

Oxbow is generally higher priced (about $4.50-5/lb where HT ranges from $1.25-3/lb depending how much you buy and the cost of shipping) but is much more widely available. You can buy Oxbow in really large packages (40 lbs) from some places but I think HT is still generally cheaper.

*Edited for typo.

Well, looking at the ingredients list there seem to be 3 changes I would think would be to help palatability

Soy oil, rosemary extract, and maybe yucca extract...
Well, that and the "natural flavours" being higher up on the list (and thus in greater quantity, proportionally).

But soy oil would definitely help...mammals love oil, and it's the key to getting neville to take his meds so I really wouldn't be surprised. The only oil in the old formula was "mineral oil" way down at the end of the list.

And I mean, rosemary is great. As the preacher says in Firefly, " man can live on packaged food from here 'til Judgment Day if he's got enough rosemary."

I find those changes very encouraging. My rats do like the Harlan a lot, but it would be nice to give them some variety...

The main change FTC said was from apples to cheese (thats what oxbow said to them).

My guys are not lovers of the HT but they will eat it.

right now they get harlan/extrusion mix. They love the extrusion. I am almost out of HT ..so I am hoping they will like the oxbow ..that way they can have oxbow/extrusion mix (just because I can get oxbow here, which saves a lot on shipping for HT ..a 30 LB bag of Ht costs me $70)

Today is day 4 with the new Oxbow & it's still a great hit!

They even eat it before the extrusion!!!

The oxbow goes first, then the extrusion, then the harlan!

Its been two weeks now, and my kiddos are still loving the new Oxbow! They even choose it before the extrusion. My oldies eat the oxbow soaked with warm water and they eat it hard!

:)

Would just like to add to this thread!

I give my rats free access to HT, and have been giving oxbow as treats (since they're small, and treat-sized). They love it, and all go nuts whenever I bring them some oxbow.

As a staple diet, definitely more expensive than HT. But to be served as treats... that's alot of treats for the money :)

Back