The New Boys...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

It's been a busy week here...

Sunday I found out about 2 boys that needed help.

First was Oliver, who originally came from Rambling Rats. Poor Ollie is one terrified dude...he goes rigid, is paralysed with fear, hides, tracks the scary hands and also cries when touched. Shelley (a wonderful former adopter of mine) knew he needed more help than she could give him, but she did try hard and got him to a better state then when he first came home.

Ollie is starting to really settle in but sadly he is showing signs of hormones...he got onto the bed from the desk, as I went to the bathroom for a minute and went after sweet harmless old man Akemi and gave him a couple of good bites...so I will likely get him neutered in January :p

He's gorgeous and very curious...once he's neutered and has learned to trust he's going to be one awesome and very funny little man.

I also determined he IS russian beige from the euro imported lines.

Dec1614Oliver4.jpg~original

Dec1614Oliver.jpg~original

Dec1614Oliver5.jpg~original

Dec1614Oliver3.jpg~original

Dec1514Oliver8.jpg~original

Tonight I will be picking up 2 more boys from the breeder that took in NeeNee's boys when she was desperate to rehome.

Templeton is a big, fat bully of a mink dumbo. He was the throw-in once we had worked out the details with the first boy.

Milo is a black self dumbo, that sounds like he is in full-on hormonal rage. He has ripped apart humans and other rats, but unfortunately the people probably didn't read NOT to handle him, and no rats should have been with him at this stage, so you cannot blame Milo...you need to know hormonal males, their triggers, when you can work with them, when they need to be neutered. It sounds like Milo needed to be neutered months ago in my opinion.

He was slated for euthanasia and I fought to get him. It took me a lot to convince her that I knew what I was talking about, that I have dealt with many hormonal males and a neuter almost always does the trick. She finally decided she would do up a contract, waiving her responsibility if there's any future damage...HAHA. I found this very very funny...could you imagine me `asking for a biting rat, then trying to blame the old owner if I got bitten? LOL

So I go on a VERY long trek tonight to pick up the 2 boys.

Then Thursday, Desiree wants to pick up her baby boys, and Trihkal is coming to get her 2 girls. Busy Busy!!

No guarantees of pics of Milo, but I should be able to get pics of Templeton when I get home.

I think only crazy rat people, would fight for a rat that wants to eat their flesh, chance getting bitten badly, want to pay money to get the rat fixed AND miss a good chunk of her Raptors game to go long distances to pick him up... :fishbeat:

Oliver is one good looking guy. He looks like he has the makings of a squish in the future.

SO glad you are getting Milo. I would love to read the "contract" she comes up with. When the girl who gave me "vicious" Mariel dropped her off she had me sign a hand written statement waiving liability. That sweet girlie hasn't bitten me once in the year she's been here. She's a doll.

You definitely have a busy week ahead of you!

Happy that Oliver is settling in, I had to take down his cage today and it was hard to do. I'm usually the one adopting and taking in pets, so it feels strange to see one go. I know he has the best chance at being a happy and more stable guy with you! He is such a scared little man, but he really is curious about everything so I think that will help him move forward.

Awww! You think she would have been grateful that someone who has a lot of experience and success stories was willing to help these poor guys. But even if she isn't we are and those boys are.

Well I'm glad to hear you are taking in some more naughty boys. You've had it way too easy with all these cute babies to raise. Time for some more bloodshed! Hahaha!

Love the teddy bear called Ollie :heart:

You always get the CUTEST rescues !!! Ollie is so adorable. He looks like a little stuffed animal.

Like I say " if it ain't a nakie then it's gotta be a rexy" !:love5::love5::love5:

That's the thing about Atlantis and her minions. They do make adorable babies but at the expense of the health and temperament. Still I have a feeling you may turn these guys into sweethearts. Nisa was a lot like Oliver when I first got her and now she's pretty sweet after all the work we have done together.

Last edited:
OK so I meant to post last night but was just so worn out.

I expected to find a ravening big black beast with jaws that could crush popcans, all puffy and glaring at me...instead I find Milo (or Roran as NeeNee used to call him?). He's a skinny, small and very scared boy. He cries when held.

Dec1714Milo3.jpg~original

He did nip me a little here...

Dec1714Milo2.jpg~original

He rarely stays still so I put him on his back, much to his dismay

Dec1714Milo.jpg~original

Then there's Templeton, the big mink bully. He's boy-rat sized :D Unfortunately both he and Milo have scabs from bite wounds on their body, URI's and Templeton has a scratch or bite to the eye that has caused it to bleed into the eyeball. He's ruby-eyed but this is "red-eyed"

Dec1714Templeton3.jpg~original

You can really see the scratch here on his eye

Dec1714Templeton.jpg~original

Dec1714Templeton5.jpg~original

Dec1714Templeton2.jpg~original

Dec1714Templeton6.jpg~original

Dec1714Templeton4.jpg~original

Templeton got metacam for pain and inflammation last night. I will watch him carefully for any swelling and other eye issues. If it starts to bulge out of his head he will have to go in for an emergency enucleation (surgical eye removal), or it might shrivel up with no issues, or best case scenario, the eyeball itself wasn't punctured, and heals in time, the blood is reabsorbed into the body and his eye comes back, where its either normal vision or he's blind out of that eye.

Aww poor Milo, he really does look frightened. He's a very handsome boy too though. Lovely coat. Let's hope he settles in very soon and learns that he's safe and in a wonderful place.

Are you just going to go ahead and plan for a neuter for all three boys?

Poor Milo - there is such a difference between fear biting and aggression.
It looks like you have your job cut out for you.

Are you just going to go ahead and plan for a neuter for all three boys?

Poor Milo - there is such a difference between fear biting and aggression.
It looks like you have your job cut out for you.

Yes all 3 will be needing neuters...Atlantis rats are usually aggressive and its best to neuter the males...both Milo and Templeton have shown aggression towards very passive rats already and Ollie is actually acting the most hormonal, so he might be first LOL.

My Christmas bonus money is ear-tagged for someone's Jan. 8th neuter (first appt, but I got 2 of them in for that day) and the last one is booked for the 12th :D Hopefully I can get Templeton's URI under control by then.

Last edited:
Well it looks like I will be taking in one more boy from her. I saw him last night and he is terrified of people, even more than Milo. A hand goes near him and he bolts...and when he feels really cornered he flies up to the top corners and hangs there...THAT is terrified.

Desiree is picking up her 3 baby boys tonight, and I realized that they both lived in North York, so I checked on mapquest and she was only 10 mins drive away!! So i asked if she would pick him up and we'll trade once she comes down :D

Well it looks like I will be taking in one more boy from her. I saw him last night and he is terrified of people, even more than Milo. A hand goes near him and he bolts...and when he feels really cornered he flies up to the top corners and hangs there...THAT is terrified.

Desiree is picking up her 3 baby boys tonight, and I realized that they both lived in North York, so I checked on mapquest and she was only 10 mins drive away!! So i asked if she would pick him up and we'll trade once she comes down :D
Oh wow, that would save a lot of trouble!
So does he fear bite? Or just try and get away?

No biting, just trying to get away. He's a very gentle feminine sort.

He seemed so scared and alone so I let him meet gentle Akemi, and he was curious and lightened up a lot.

So I tossed him on the bed and he ended up running around, meeting everyone (with zero issues even with the rats that like to push things a bit), loving the hammock in the bed cage, the wee shelf, climbing, sniffing, bright and happy.

I had to clean the bed cage though and he's now cuddled under the pillow next to mine.

I will be joining them soon. He seems so happy and after refusing many names, he said he wanted to be called a plain name, Arnie. Well we cheated and used the norse spelling which is Arne. It means "strong as eagles"...so much for plain ;)

Dec1814liceyboy4.jpg~original

Dec1814liceyboy5.jpg~original

Dec1814liceyboy2.jpg~original

Dec1814liceyboy3.jpg~original

Dec1814liceyboy.jpg~original

Back