The infamous water bottle thread...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkRider2k3

Yeah I know it's a common problem for water bottles to leak. I know that it happens to everyone.

But I have a few questions to ask.

1. How do you check/tell if a gasket is bad?

2. Are glass water bottles really good? Nikki is wanting to get some saying that they rarely leak out. Is that true? Are they that much better?

3. Has anyone tried this water bottle?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lInUS%2FNo

I just am tired of giant puddles of water. It can't be good for my ratties, and if they poo near it (which they almost always do.. stupid girls! :gaah: ) it gets mushy and disgusting..

And yeah, I've tried litter training for the poo but my girls don't take to it at all :(

I really like the glass water bottles seen here: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lInCA%2FNo

I used them for years and never had a problem. I did have to replace the rubber o-rings once though. There are some people who really didn't like them and never had any luck with them - it really seems like it is hit and miss.

As for the one you linked, I'm not sure as I have not used it. Other water bottles of that brand name that I have used were good though.

Have you had any issues with rusting? Seems like a lot of people love it, but it rusts..

I'll be near petsmart tonight. So that's a good plus as I can go look at them!

I use water bowls. The down-side is you have to change the water often, sometimes twice a day if food crumbs get into it as it gets skunky quickly. I'm lazy with water bottles and don't change the water often enough. And how the heck do you clean the spout and bottle effectively? Bowls are easy.

DarkRider2k3 said:
Have you had any issues with rusting? Seems like a lot of people love it, but it rusts..

I'll be near petsmart tonight. So that's a good plus as I can go look at them!

I have not had issues with rusting.

I haven't used them in a while though, I broke 2 (tripped and they shattered on the floor >.<) and ended up replacing them with the cheap plastic ones because I got a good deal at the time. I do miss them though, they went through the dishwasher well. I really do recommend them. You could always try one out but a warning... do not buy the living world one, only buy the super pet one. I have tried about 5 or 6 Living world ones and they ALL leaked.

Well I went through my water bottles and discarded one of them that was extremely leaky. The rest seem to be ok and I've given them a good scrubbing so hopefully no more huge water leaks (the one was leaking heavy. Constant dripping..)

I'm going to look into those glass water bottles as well.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=17098

We also use this one and as you can see its $4 cheap here than at petsmart. I just find everything cheaper here than at petsmart or petco. That being said we have had a problem with 1 maybe where the water just ran right out, but it turned out to be operator error. The hubby did not screw it on properly. We also found that if you do not fill them completely they don't drip as much. We have 8 up right now 2 in each cage. I think I have one where the spring holder is rusting. If your looking to put them on the outside of the cage that is very difficult with these.

I have the 8oz with the little ducky float and have never had problems with it. My favorite hands down is the Lixit bird bottle. I have the 16oz I think. The babies live it because they can get more out at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a large glass bottle for our girls -- they somehow managed to get their teeth on every one of the plastic bottles I tried, probably when they were out playing, and chewed holes in them. I also found that plastic ones tended to leak, even when brand new. The glass one has been dropped on the carpet a few times, thankfully it's made of THICK glass. No rust at all, and it's probably six months old. I rinse daily, and about once a week I throw the spout into a sink full of HOT water with some bleach, then rinse well, to kill off any bacteria.

I should note that I also have a bowl of water in the cage -- it's hanging on the side, opposite side of the cage from the litter and the food dish. That way, they don't dunk food in it, or poop in it. Most times they use the bowl for bathing or washing food off, and drink from the bottle.

Back