The Great Escape

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pauley

Once we had a family of rats which we had hand raised and fed with an eyedropper since their mother had a stroke and died when they were about 2 weeks old. To these 6 girls and 1 boy we had a bond much deeper than the normal human/rat companionship. We were everything and all things to them. (the girls are seen in my avatar) Normally, when I would get home, their noses would all be pressed in the corner of the cage waiting for me to open the lid and love on them all at once. One day, I came home to discover their food door open, so I shut the door to the room and prepared for a long thorough search of the bedroom. Under the bed I found nothing. The more I searched, the more I became frustrated and a bit afraid, as they were still pretty young, and we had 3 dogs at the time. As I took a deep breath and thought the worst, I saw some movement behind the towel hanging over the back of the cage (to give them a dark place to sleep) I looked and found all 6 of my little angels sleeping in a pile right where they always took their afternoon nap, only outside the cage. I asked "who wants to go home?" and they all scaled the cage and waited to be put home. Then I had a few drinks and thought about the nervous breakdown I had just avoided.

Lol! That's such a ratty story, and with the right ending!
The way I figure it, they say you ought to exercize your brain to keep it nimble? There's no better exercise than having to constantly outthink ratties. There's always something they're making you reconfigure. Not to mention that laughter is the best medicine and they provide that like wanton pushers too. Rats are great for your health!
And so much fun to hear about other people's too!

Glad they didn't go far! I too have been there, with my hamsters, my teddybear who now lives at my friends house, still to this day gets his habitrail open, lol, even with a chain on the door :?

Fidget said:
Lol! That's such a ratty story, and with the right ending!
The way I figure it, they say you ought to exercize your brain to keep it nimble? There's no better exercise than having to constantly outthink ratties. There's always something they're making you reconfigure.

Outthinking them gets harder the more of them there are. Kinda like a collective mentality, or building on each other ideas. Rats NEVER fail to fascinate me with their ability to adapt. 8)

Back