The Dustman has a Lump - ZGT... RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Carol...

this is from ratguide, and should help explain why they are considered inoperable.. http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/zy ... _tumor.php

Zymbal’s gland carcinomas are very invasive. This typically makes tumor removal impossible, and the accompanying necrosis does not, in most cases, make debulking the tumor an option.

It is not unusual to find the area overlying the tumor has abscessed. In this event, surgical drainage (lancing) and debridement may be performed by the veterinarian.

Dusty's progressing quickly. it smells foul but we shall know soon what we truly have...an abscess, which will deflate once its cleaned out and drains, OR it will have a thickness to it and the tumour will rear its ugly head.

My poor little Dustman...so shy and so sweet with me. He was such a scared little baby and doesn't deserve this.

I SO hope that's just an abscess :sad3: Poor Dusty, hang in there sweet boy. :heart:
We have a boy with ZGT, Franklin. His lump is huge, and it had a bit of a scab, but nothing has happened yet. It's definitely ZGT though. RKBusy has Franklin at her place, she's devastated, he's such a sweet sweet boy. He's behaving normally, eating, running around, doesn't seem to affect him at all. yet. :(

The abscess started to open up at the top last night and this morning, I was able to scrape some of the cheesey stuff gently out with q-tips but unlike Twiggy who had something similar, there was a lot of blood and it just got worse. he was sooo good about it, knowing I was trying to help him, and I had given him metacam already. I almost had a huge chunk out when Dusty decided he had had enough. So then I flushed it with my isotonic saline nasal rinse, he freaked..shaking himself, and spraying blood everywhere in my bathroom and on me. Along with little bits of cheesy guck :sick2: . I have left him to recover from his ordeal but I have a bad feeling about this diagnosis. :sad3:

Pics under spoilers

[spoil:1sd9yyn7]Before flushing

After flushing

[/spoil:1sd9yyn7]

It's an awful looking thing. Poor sweetie. I wish that there weren't so many terrible afflictions for rats.

Kisses and scritches and healing wishes to him from me and the girls

Back