The day has finally come!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitLuvs

I'm getting a Ferret Nation tomorrow!

I know I know, I wanted a CN and it would be the better option but I am thinking we are done with rats after our boys pass, and will only adopt a group of older males if we do own again. But (and please hold your bashings!) Pets Unlimited has them here for $279 (double) and Global Pets wants $399 which I cannot afford at the moment :( Flowertown would be $400 with shipping as well. So it's my only option at the moment and I need to get these boys into a better cage. Some times you gotta get dirty to give your kids what they really need.

So other than the fact I am supporting a horrid pet store for the first time with quite a large purchase, I am really excited! My friend is buying my R695 for her two boys she just took in (Phenius and Ferb posted on here from Cape Breton, which means she will have room for 2 more boys) and I am giving Chuck and Bobby the R685? since they are in a Rat Resort. I have two buyers for the Resorts already. So all in all, I'll only be paying about $130 for the FN.

I will post pictures in the FN post, I have wanted to for almost 2 years now :)

I bought mine yesterday and am waiting until Percy goes to his new home (he's been adopted!) before I set it up...double ferret nation and two rats, lol....they will be in heaven

Kimber said:
I bought mine yesterday and am waiting until Percy goes to his new home (he's been adopted!) before I set it up...double ferret nation and two rats, lol....they will be in heaven

Heaven indeed :D

Glad to hear it :)

It's weird that flower-town would cost you over $400.. we shipped ours in from the US and everything said and done (shipping / handling / international fees), we only paid $378, and the dollar was at par so we literally only paid $378. Total. We paid no tax or duty when it got here either.. we just paid a $40 "international handling" fee via PetSmart up front with the shipping (that's included in that $378 price)

Congrats on the new cage!

ametropia said:

It's weird that flower-town would cost you over $400.. we shipped ours in from the US and everything said and done (shipping / handling / international fees), we only paid $378, and the dollar was at par so we literally only paid $378. Total. We paid no tax or duty when it got here either.. we just paid a $40 "international handling" fee via PetSmart up front with the shipping (that's included in that $378 price)

The Maritimes are pretty isolated and hard to reach, so shipping there costs a lot more. Living in an urban centre would have also helped you (as it does with me) with the price of your cage as shipping to and from is often the most economical.

My double CN cost 275
Pans cost 50
With Shipping came to 510

I could have gotten mine from PU for 375 ..but I was unable to get pans.

:joy: :joy: :joy:

I bought mine directly from a pet store because the shipping fees from various places online were just killer. I kinda felt bad about it, but I've ended up being super thankful I made that decision because the money I saved was eventually needed for vet bills. Despite the guilt, it was a decision well worth it in the end.

Your kiddos are gonna love their new house :D

No, I checked with Global before I bought my one and they said that "they are not in the business of price matching"....too bad because I would have rather bought it from them.

victoria said:
Congrats on the new cage!

ametropia said:

The Maritimes are pretty isolated and hard to reach, so shipping there costs a lot more. Living in an urban centre would have also helped you (as it does with me) with the price of your cage as shipping to and from is often the most economical.

I grew up on Cape Breton Island, so I'm maritimes born-and-raised until about 6 years ago. I've never had any issues with extra shipping costs back home, so I don't know why it would suddenly be that way. Also, while less people might live there, the maritimes are hardly isolated. I guess if you live in a tiny rural town perhaps, but that can happen anywhere.

I also run a mailroom for a living (I'm the production coordinator for a company out in Vancouver) and I know a lot about shipping. Costs of shipping don't really change based on being "in the Maritimes". In reality, the maritimes really aren't isolated.. but some towns are. That can happen in the Maritimes, or in BC/Ontario, or anywhere else though. A couple of primary factors that matters are a) what is the distance between Point A (the origin) and Point B (the customer) and b) does the custom have a depot for the courier company in his or her location.

Once you get into remote towns, the courier companies have to contract out what they call Agents (third-parties, essentially) in these small towns because there is no depot. The Agent will take the package or letter from the courier and deliver it to the final destination the rest of the way. This costs extra, but the postal-codes where Agents are necessary are far less numerous than you might think.

The only exception I could see would be Newfoundland, as something as heavy as a CN comes by ground-shipping, and there would be a lengthy ferry ride involved. But I can't vouche for that for sure, I don't ship a lot to NFL.

Also, I bought from PetSmart, and when I was tracking it, I noticed it was being shipped up from from the US into Canada at a point much further east than I expected.. so in reality, we may have actually had to pay more for shipping than someone out east would, though you'd have to get the estimate to find out.

Yeah, PU has a sale on their FN and CN cages right now...I sorta didn't have the money right now to buy it, but put off a couple things so I could get it lol....couldn't resist saving the cash and getting it now too.

Congrats on getting your cage Pits :) We've joined the group

ametropia, I'm in Sydney, so not a rural town but the only city on the island lol Nice to see another Caper!

Flowertown quoted me $389 for just the cage. All Pets Furniture wants $398. Global Pets and Pets Unlimited want $349 (FN) and $399 (CN) plus tax. It just so happens that they have one single FN and one double FN there when I called. It's marked down to $279+tax, I think I'll order the pans from Flowertown!

I am super excited, I have wanted this cage for years and have made a few attempts these last few months and something always came up :(

Gah, I need new fleece!!

SQ, our PU is $460 for a CN with tax, thats why I am jumping on the FN for $274 lol

Kimber said:
Yeah, PU has a sale on their FN and CN cages right now...I sorta didn't have the money right now to buy it, but put off a couple things so I could get it lol....couldn't resist saving the cash and getting it now too.

Congrats on getting your cage Pits :) We've joined the group

I wish my PU had CN's marked down. THAT I would have jumped all over :)

I have spent all morning asking my son to find my Futura Card, I got it a while ago and never used it so he's been using it as a credit card lol Goes to show how much I spend at PU.

Going to Fredericton on Friday so I might look at pets unlimited.I really want a bigger cage,so eventually(hopefully) all my boys can live together instead of all the smaller cages. I think I will wait and get the local store to order one(CN) if they can,it sounds like you got a really good deal though.

seymore3 said:
Going to Fredericton on Friday so I might look at pets unlimited.I really want a bigger cage,so eventually(hopefully) all my boys can live together instead of all the smaller cages. I think I will wait and get the local store to order one(CN) if they can,it sounds like you got a really good deal though.

That's what I am doing. I have 4 groups here (3:2:2:2) and would like to get the two new boys in with the group of 3. I have a cage here large enough for a group of 5, but its on floor level and one of these boys are nippers. We've been to the emergency room with my 2 year old once lol So with the FN, I can put the 5 boys up top, 2 on the bottom and my rat/mouse combo can have the bigger cage. All around, everyone will win and it will not look like a pet store in my living room with 4 cages LOL

I hope you are able to get one! We were going to order online down the road, but the money we're saving will be used to spoil them/vet visits :)

I just hope I don't go near the rats while at the store, I can say no and walk away no problem but it still hurts to leave them :(

It's here! And decorated. I said I wouldn't touch it until tomorrow but Joe wanted to put it together, and then I wanted to just lay the fleece in it. Then Joe wanted the babies to be in it first, but Lenir and Londo looked like they wanted in as well.... then of course Sam and Dean cannot be left out from their new cage...

It snowballed. Now I have way to many freaking cages in my living room to clean up tomorrow while Joe's at work haha

The cage is more than able to contain the babies even though they are almost 4 months old.

Lenir/Londo/G'Kar are getting along well with Loki and Ash... although G'Kar is not happy and heaving a little bit with all the change.

Will post pics tomorrow, Im pooped!

Back