The Big Neuter Day - Atlantis boys Jack & Dixon

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

I am so glad this day is here as both boys are incredibly hormonal and NEED these neuters desperately. I have to use towels to pick them up at this point and am posting this thread so I can delay transferring them to their carriers LOL

Jack is Milo's brother (who did wonderfully well with his neuter over a month ago) so I have high hopes that its not a behavioural issue just hormonal overload.

Dixon is Tempie's brother (I think?) and he's even more umm...manic we shall say? NeeNee says he was one of the softest sweetest rats until now. :p Poor Tempie who is a nice big boy and mostly friendly (he kindly lets me know when he's starting to feel angsty and I put him back or am more careful with him) will have to wait for his neuter :D

Dixon is a light pearl merle..he's very cute and these pics do not do him justice, but the smell of other rats puts him in a complete rage,

Feb%2010%2015%20Dixon%202.jpg~original

Feb%2010%2015%20Dixon.jpg~original

and Jack is the black hoodie that bit me over a week ago.

Feb%2010%2015%20Jack.jpg~original

I was told by the staff when I went to pick them up to be very very careful with Dixon...he was on his back hissing at them when they went to pick him up. :p

Jack let me cuddle him (so did Dixon but his was a very short time)...and he looks bemused at his "adventure" today LOL

Poor Jack...

Mar%2017%2015%20Jack%20post%20neuter.jpg~original

Hehe Jack looking 'bemused' made me giggle. And HISSING... Wowser! Don't think I've ever heard a rat hiss before, thank god those balls are gone!

Pleased your surgery went well, they really are cute boys.

My Bennett had his nads off two weeks ago because he was hormonal - Shelagh, how long will it take for the hormones to disapate? He's still very much the same as he was. A little calmer somewhat, but not much change..

Hehe Jack looking 'bemused' made me giggle. And HISSING... Wowser! Don't think I've ever heard a rat hiss before, thank god those balls are gone!

Pleased your surgery went well, they really are cute boys.

My Bennett had his nads off two weeks ago because he was hormonal - Shelagh, how long will it take for the hormones to disapate? He's still very much the same as he was. A little calmer somewhat, but not much change..

There's a range depending on how badly the rat was reacting to his hormones before.

Some rats come home from their neuter day with an attitude adjustment (rare but a loooovely occurence), most take 3-4 weeks before the real improvements kick in. Milo took about 2-3 weeks, but he was more scared than hormonal. Jack will probably take that amount of time, and Dixon will take more. Ollie is at 2 weeks and still getting silly, he's calmer and quieter now, his abject fear is less, but the smell of other rats makes him puff up, and when you touch his back he still humps up.

Sometimes it takes longer 4-6 weeks or even more than that, but you have already seen your Bennet calmer at 2 weeks so probably another week or 2.

Hopefully they heal quickly and calm down sooner rather than later! :wink2:

I'm currently waiting for my hormonal boy to calm down as well. Going on 5 weeks now. He is a bit calmer. Many of his problems could be behavioral and not related to hormones though.

Back