THANK YOU

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratiticans

I wanted to send out a proper thank you to Vanessa for Suppling my girls with a bigger home until I am able to find one. I thank everyone for the suggestions and am so glad I found this forum. Thanks everyone :p

Any chance of getting to the hardware store and getting some mesh, cut it to size and attach it to the cage until the little eepers are large enough that it's not an issue? (She says as she is currently cutting same said mesh to fit the new-used Ferret Nation she found on Craigslist...lol).

good luck and let us know how things sort out!

dl
:D

Any chance of getting to the hardware store and getting some mesh, cut it to size and attach it to the cage until the little eepers are large enough that it's not an issue? (She says as she is currently cutting same said mesh to fit the new-used Ferret Nation she found on Craigslist...lol).

dl

skinnyhippiechick said:

dl

Sounds like a good idea, My girls are a bit small for ratties but one is a year old and one is about 5 months not sure if they will get any bigger as this is my first time owning rats. I will give that a try because I want my girls to be happy they mean the world to me

It may be a bit far away but I know Ren's in Oakville has some nice cages!
Of course you may want to phone them and see what they have in stock before you made the trip!

MumsyRat said:
It may be a bit far away but I know Ren's in Oakville has some nice cages!
Of course you may want to phone them and see what they have in stock before you made the trip!

I don't Drive so it would be hard for me to get there but thanks so much for the advice maybe I can find a ride there :)

When I had my two girls, they could never have lived in the SuperPet cages, even when they were older. They could always get their heads out, even if their whole body couldn't fit, and I was always so scared they would get themselves caught and hurt themselves. I didn't use the SuperPet cages until I started with my wedge-headed boys. :)
I found that the cages at Ren's haven't been that great recently. The most popular ones there have pretty much the same bar spacing as a SuperPet. I haven't been for a few months, so they might have a better selection now, but they weren't that great the last time I was there.
These are mostly the ones they were selling, the Marchioro ones...
9131809469B.jpg

I could maybe dig up a cage to loan you that might have better bar spacing for your girls until they get a bit older. I would like to get it back though, as I don't have many for young rats.
I also have a Marchioro cage, it is longer than the one in the picture, and I could loan you that one as well, but I just checked and the bar spacing is the same as the SuperPet ones.
Let me know.

...just a note to not rely necessarily on what people at rens tell you on the phone....

I called to ask about ferret cages, and they recommended i buy a dog crate....

Vanessa said:
When I had my two girls, they could never have lived in the SuperPet cages, even when they were older. They could always get their heads out, even if their whole body couldn't fit, and I was always so scared they would get themselves caught and hurt themselves. I didn't use the SuperPet cages until I started with my wedge-headed boys. :)
I found that the cages at Ren's haven't been that great recently. The most popular ones there have pretty much the same bar spacing as a SuperPet. I haven't been for a few months, so they might have a better selection now, but they weren't that great the last time I was there.
These are mostly the ones they were selling, the Marchioro ones...
9131809469B.jpg

I could maybe dig up a cage to loan you that might have better bar spacing for your girls until they get a bit older. I would like to get it back though, as I don't have many for young rats.
I also have a Marchioro cage, it is longer than the one in the picture, and I could loan you that one as well, but I just checked and the bar spacing is the same as the SuperPet ones.
Let me know.

Omg I would really apprichiate that and would give it back as soon as I am able to find another one. Or you can have the one I currantly have as the bar spacing is small and is very roomly for babies if needed. Please let me know!

I'm so glad that you can borrow Vanessa's cage until you find a better solution. I agree with Jorats that your best bet over the long term would be a Martins cage. They are designed for rats. The Joanne-style 695 (pull-out bottom tray, huge doors) is a winner. You can easily take wheels and other large items in and out, the pull-out tray makes cleaning easy, and the powder-coated grid keeps ratties of all sizes safe.

Back