Temperature and Humidity

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisK

I've read that rats need the temperature to be between 65 and 80 Farenheight. I'm a bit nervous about the humidex, though. Our weather forecast says 75 degrees but the humidex makes it feel like it's 90. From what I've read, rats can experience respertory distress when the temperature gets between 80-90 and higher, but I think if it's 75 with a humidex making it feel like 90 it's okay because I also read somewhere that rats like humidity. Does anyone know? Is my assumption correct?

Also, I'd love to hear any tips about keeping ratties cool in the summer time... Thanks!

High humidity is not good for rats but they do adapt quite well.
90 degrees Fahrenheit is much too hot for the rats though. You'll need to try and keep them cool. Try closing the blinds/curtains in the room... adding a frozen water bottle in the cage, freeze some grapes and offer it to them. Make sure they have lots of cold water.

So for my little girl, I should consider the temperature as if it's 90 when the actual is 75 and the humidex makes it feel like 90? (Sorry if this is redundant, but I am not clear if ratties "feel" the temperature as we do.)

Thanks for the suggestions to keep it cool. I've been closing the blinds at night so that when the sun comes up, the room doesn't get hot. And then keep the windows open, so the indoor temperature stays between 75 and 80.

I'm not sure if they feel it as we do. In the house, it shouldn't be the same as outside I would think... but yes, if you are very uncomfortable then I would bet so are the rats.

Back