Tara's Litter

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn

I've been meaning to ask this for sometime now but can anyone who kept a baby from Tara's (mostly) dumbo litter raise your hands? I'm referring to the litter by Brie, the black dumbo rex, she had four girls...

Anyway, here's the situation! As you know I adopted two of the girls who were born January...8th? 9th? You get the idea. They looked pretty normal to me as did cutie mama. I've noticed, however, my girls didn't quite develop normally, particularly Jo. They're pretty tiny rats. Last time I checked, Jo was 114g, though that was a good month and a half ago. So there's the tiny size. But then there's the weird motor skills, or lackthereof. Jo walks like her feet are too big, kinda plods around (quickly) much like little baby rats do when they're just learning how to run around. Then we have their lack of balance. They fall. A lot. They could be grooming, trying to climb a wall of the cage, going down the ladder...really anytime they're standing they likely fall down. They also have a strange way of moving their heads around when sniffing the air (and then promptly fall over).

Ginny's not as bad...but she still does all that I listed. At now over six months of age I'm not sure this is cute baby behaviour anymore. Not to mention I've had quite a fair number of baby rats and not a single one acted like they do for very long (say, weeks).

I don't think it's anything I'm doing as Phoe came to me as a teenager of sorts and though she has a tiny build, she still appears to be a normal weight and evened out and is as balanced and intelligent as any other rat I've had. And most other rats I've had came to me as babies and developed normally.

I'm just curious to know if anyone else has noticed anything off about these babies? I know at least three members here have some.

I think Anne mentioned her boy being tiny but I don't recall her mentioning the weird behaviour my girls are exhibiting. I'm definitely worried about neuro, mostly because I can't do a darn thing about it. And they're such sweethearts. :( As long as whatever it is doesn't affect their lifespan I'm okay!

But yes, definitely interested in what the others have to say!

My girl Nala came from that litter. She "sways" alot but thats typical of rats who have the ruby eyes.

Other than that she it totally normal. She does not show any of the signs your girls are showing. Shes also a very healthy size and I wouldn't even say she is petit since she is almost larger than my 1 year old who is on the small side. Shes lean but I'm sure she fill out once she gets a bit older...her actual body size is fine.

Shes deffinately not the smartest one of the bunch but shes not stupid and has actually learned a few tricks faster than some of my other rats have.

My guys do well motor/neuro wise .... and I had them out the other day and was thinking about it....they've started to fill out too...they dont seem nearly as small as I was making them out to be...either that or theyve had a decent growth spurt in the last little while.....(or my previous rattie kids were all FAT *GASP* im wont deny that....)

hey cityratt, who did take from that litter? We should all post pics so we can see what their siblings look like :D

Bronwyn, any chance that it could be a chronic inner ear infection? It certainly doesn't sound good.

My Clara, whom I adopted about a month ago, had supposedly always had trouble climbing. The person who gave her to me said that she didn't seem to be able to turn her neck as well as the other girl. I didn't notice that, but Clara started falling all over the place a couple of weeks after I got her. The vet was sure she was too young for PT and figured it was an inner ear infection. The Forum members said so also. Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory cleared up the problem within a few days. She no longer needs the anti-inflammatory, but I am keeping her on abs for another couple of weeks.

If you have some Baytril & Clavamox & an anti-inflammatory around, it would be worth a try. I sure hope it's nothing permanent. It wouldn't surprise me if a chronic infection would keep the girls' weight down.

I had to wonder, I mean I mentioned this earlier but they were still young so I think we all passed it off as baby sillies. So they haven't gotten worse, they've just been consistently weird. Unless they've had it since I got them as little 6 week old babies...

Laura - I believe a girl named Tamara adopted the other black girl. Jack adopted...two? Three? I think Tara kept one. Annnd my memory fails me after that. I've been trying to get photos of these girls and it's tricky! I'll update with a couple of photos if I can. I'd love to see how the siblings are, particularly Nala and Tamara's girl, since I think females would be the most applicable. Any idea how much Nala weighs? By what you said it sounds like she's nowhere near Jo's weight. My poor kids. :(

Well, I still can't explain the general daft nature of the two sisters, but I think I solved the weight mystery.

I took Brie and Elphie up north with me so that Brie wouldn't get anymore interruptions with her Metacam, thus leaving the two sisters and Phoe in the FN. I was gone for about five or six days, came back, and now the little ones are looking rather close to normal. Not quite there but a whole lot healthier than last week! So it seems Brie and/or Elphie is making eating difficult for them.

I adopted two boys, a double rex PEW dumbo and a black berk rex, from Tara. I'm not sure if they are any relation to that litter because they were definitely older, a father or siblings from another litter maybe, but they are both normal.

Vanessa said:
I adopted two boys, a double rex PEW dumbo and a black berk rex, from Tara. I'm not sure if they are any relation to that litter because they were definitely older, a father or siblings from another litter maybe, but they are both normal.

Vanessa,

I think the boys you have are related to either Naya or Trini (the 2 girls I fostered for Nic from Guelph) if we go by age of the many Oops litters this woman had.

Back