Tail wiggling and wagging

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousCurse

I'm curious, is tail wagging similar to bruxing in the sense that it can mean a rat is scared or happy or is it only one of the two? I read it a while ago. The reason I ask is I've had/have two tail waggers.

When Grumpy first started becoming friendly (he use to bite me unprovoked, but then stopped immediately following Gideon's death), I would pet his head and shoulders and he would start wagging his tail. However, that just stopped one day and since had kept his stubbornly still tail. I can't remember if he would brux or not, but he always seemed very relaxed and puddled out on me.

However, now I have a huge tail wiggler. I rescued (word used very lightly here) two boys a couple of months back. Very well socialized and very friendly. Genji is one of those two boys. He wags his tail furiously every time I rub his head, ears, and shoulders. I rub softly and gently. He wags his whole tail. He bruxes 90% of the time and boggles every so often. He usually runs right up to my hands, nestles in between my arm and my chest, and then settles in and gets pets.

Genji is currently laying on me, eyes closed, relaxing as I rub his shoulders. His tail is wagging and he's bruxing. Oh, and he's boggling when he does open his eyes. Is it safe to say his tail wagging is him being happy?

Yes. It can mean different things depending on the situation, and their body language. I have one that wiggles his every time we play. Sometimes, if he's had enough, he will sort of puff up, and wiggle his tail furiously. But I know he doesn't always do it out of irritation. He will pick at me until I play with him, and if he's enjoying it, he gets his whole body involved, including tail! He will bounce around like a crazy guy, and come back for more. Or if he's playing, sometimes he will hide. If I stick my hand in and "catch or find" him, he will wag, then go Bounce and hide again, but he makes Sure I'm paying attention before he does. LOL

Back